Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My snake (western hognose) escaped sometime over the

Customer Question

My young snake (western hognose) escaped sometime over the weekend. It's difficult to pin-point the exact time frame. I was putting the decoration backing into his tank again, and did not realize that, afterward, the sliding lock to block off the holes for thermometer cords, was not slid over the hole. This was Saturday night, and when I came home from work on Sunday evening, I realized he was not in his tank. I always keep my bedroom door shut, so I'm fairly certain he's still somewhere in there. Yesterday, I spent the day going through EVERYTHING. I moved my dresser, bed, even checked between the mattress and box spring. (My bed isn't on a frame, so I assumed it was feasible he had managed to get between.) No trace. On sunday evening, I turned down the heat in the room and put his tank on the floor with fresh water and the heat lamp on. (I have a heat mat but wasn't sure if it would be safe so close against the carpet. I also have 2 warm spots outside the tank around my room set up with fresh water. I know they can go ages without eating, but drinking is another story. I know most people are missing their snakes for days and even weeks before they are found. My problem is that 1) he's incredibly small and 2) I have other animals (they are currently banned from my room until the snake is safely recovered) and I am concerned they might find him before I do. Is there anything else I can do to try and lure my snake out of hiding and back into safety?!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your snake?
Customer: He has been off feed for 2 months.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet tech and a Reptile specialist for over 30+ years. Please give me some time to read over all the information. I may have soem questions too.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

Can you tell me what you are feeding for prey?

Is there any vents in your room?

Any gaps in the doors that he could get out?

Would you be willing to use a sticky safe trap?

Joan