Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

She has been popping, all of sudden I put in tub of water

Customer Question
and she always goes, but...
She has been popping, all of sudden I put in tub of water and she always goes, but it is like a hard little stick ,stuck in her butt
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: 1 yr, Jellybean
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Jellybean?
Customer: We have been raising dragons for 3 yrs and never seen this
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Reptile
11/19/2016
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 1 year ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. Every bearded dragon is an individual and the diet and conditions that might be perfect for one, may result in problems for another. And some are simply genetically prone to certain problems. Some additional information may help me figure out what is going on with Jellybean.Has she had this problem her entire life or is it something new?What do you feed her? Any supplements?What substrate do you use on the floor of her enclosure?What are the temperatures under the basking light and on the cool side?Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

We feed her a mixture of dubia roaches that we raise our selves with a diet of vegetables of carrots, greens,clover, apples,spring mix, and we sprinkle with calcium once every 2 weeks

Thank you for getting back to me on diet. Can you also give me the other information on temperatures, substrate, etc. ? This could be important.

Since constipation seem sto be the main problem, I'll go ahead and give you a first aid measure. You are on the right track with baths, but we can make them better.

Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants), and some prune baby food. Drop a small dollop of the prunes right on the end of her snout. Most of the time, reflexes will cause them to lick it off. Wait about 45 minutes, then prepare a shallow warm bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your dragon for about 20 to 30 minutes. After the first 10 minutes, with her still in the water, gently massage her underside from front to vent for an additional 10 minutes. That may be enough to help her pass some feces. Be sure to supervise closely.

The other information may have helped me to figure out an underlying cause. Loose substrates like sand or crushed walnut can lead to constipation in sensitive beardies. Reptile carpet or ceramic tile are better choices. For some dragons, being even a bit too chilly can cause a sluggish digestive system. The basking area should be 105*F to 110*F. The cool side should be 80*F to 85*F.

If this problem has been occurring throughout her life, she may have been born with a genetic defect causing the problem. If that's the case, there won't be anything you can do.

Your dragons do need calcium more often - prey insects should be dusted every day.

If you have more questions, just let me know.

Anna

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I had already done everything u said to do. Like I said we have raised dragons for over 3 yrs. They have nothing in their bedding that is eatable, she has her logs to climb on and a rock to lay on. We have all the correct lights and correct temps.She try to wiggle in the water, as trying to poop and there is a little that does come out over the thing that is sticking out.

I'm sorry to hear that nothing has worked. Since I have nothing else to tell you short of seeing a vet, I will opt out of your question, opening it to other experts.

Anna

Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist