I have a veiled chameleon, I think it's a female. Yesterday and today she has been acting very sluggish. I just came

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a young veiled chameleon, I think it's a female. Yesterday and today she has been acting very sluggish. I just came home from work and she is lying on the bottom of her habitat. She let me pet her, which she NEVER does. Normally she hisses at me when i go near her
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the chameleon.
Customer: I don't know who to bring her to.
JA: Have there been any changes in the chameleon's appearance or diet?
Customer: No, she has grown a lot in the last couple of weeks. She has been eating more than she did before, up until today. Yesterday she ate 4 crickets and probably seven or so superworms
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: I can't think of anything. She did great a month ago when we had to evacuate for hurricane Matthew, and traveled like a champ! Seems to be very well adjusted here, but is really not well as of yesterday
Answered by Jav917 in 2 mins 6 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech with special interest in reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me about the enclosure?

UVB light linear tube or compact coil, strength, brand?

basking light?

Supplements?

Temps?

Automister or Dripper?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Joan

Customer
screened enclosure, zoo med uvb compact coil, basking light is under the same hood. she has a dripper for water but it is not working so she has been drinking water from a bowl which we change daily we use reptisafe for the water and dust her crickets with calcium
Customer
temp right now is only 78.1 which seems a little cool
Customer
we are in palm beach county Florida

Ah, you are my neighbor. I am here in Palm Beach County. Chameleons will not drink from standing water, so she may be getting dehydrated. We need to give her a soak in some warm water. She can absorb the fluids through the skin and Vent area. Since she is at the bottome of the cage she is very ill and needs to be seen. I would up the ambient temp about 5* and and check the basking area. Reptile can have parasites and they can bloom and cause a reptile to slowly go down hill. With her at the bottom of the Cage she needs to be seen asap.

This is Dr Rolf's Clinc near where I live and she may be able to get you in today:

http://birdexoticvet.com/

----------------------------------------

***** ***** Hendrickson
All Birds/Cats/Dogs/Exotics
16764 96th Terr N.
Jupiter 33478

-------------------------------

Scott Lund
Lund Animal Hospital
Boca Raton
561-998 - 5863

_______________________________________________

Robin C. Valentine
Valentine Veterinary Services
Boca Raton 33431(###) ###-####br /> Housecalls and hospital hours in Palm Beach and Broward County

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James F. Weege
Colonial Animal Hospital
127 S.E. Woolbright Road
Boynton Beach 33435(###) ###-####/p>

All these Vet treat reptiles and I gave you different areas.

It is important for her to be seen asap. I would get a Mister going as soon as possible, to help hydrate her. You can also supplemental hand mist. When giving the soak make sure you support her at all times and dry her after the soak so she does not chill.

Please hit reply for further help or questions.

Joan

Customer
Thank you - will she bite me if I pick her up to mist or dry her? I have never been able to hold her. We are in northern palm beach gardens, so I will call one of the vets closer to here

This is who you will want to call. She is excellent. I have family members who use her for their Birds.

***** ***** Hendrickson
All Birds/Cats/Dogs/Exotics
16764 96th Terr N.
Jupiter 33478

A bite from a Chameleon is not more than a pinch. I cannot tell you she will not bite, but I can say a Chameleon at the bottom of an enclose is very ill and needs help. You can put on a pair of Rubber gloves if concerned. To Hand Mist you use a squirt bottle that can mist water. The soak can be done in a shallow bowl place in the sink, and you will need to support her so she does not slip under. She is weak, and needs help.

They are one of the most fragile of the Reptile species, so this is a big concern.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. Please come back after the Vet visit here to update me on her condition and what the Vet says.

Joan

Did you need further help? Please let me know how your Veiled is doing and what the Herp Vet says.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.