My crested gecko is very lethargic. He is like very stiff and barely reathing. His name is rango and is only about 3

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My crested gecko is very lethargic. He is like very stiff and barely reathing.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the gecko. What is the gecko's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is only about 3 months. We just got him Tuesday
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about rango?
Customer: No. He has about 85% humidity and 70 degrees f
Answered by Jav917 in 10 mins 6 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me what diet you are feeding?

Supplements?

How are you measuring temps? what type of gauge?

Joan

Customer
He eats crested gecko food from zoo med. We just gave him his first crickets today. He ate 1. We have 2 zoo med gauges in his enclosure. Both analog.
Customer
Are you there

I am working on your answer.

Joan

One problem I see is them Temp is too low. Crested geckos require 78*F-82*. If the temps are too low, they will shut down. You need to get the temps up a little bit to about 72 and see if the Crested responds. A better food is Repashy Crested Gecko food. Another problem e could be a parasite issue. This is a common problem with Reptiles coming out of a Pet shop. You need to be mixing some Plain calcium in with the food. Calcium can be depleted easily in Reptiles, so adding a little plain calcium in with the food or on prey is very important. If the Gecko does not seem to respond if you warm up to 78-82*f, then I suggest a Herp Vet visit to be checked out hands on. I can locate some for you with a State. To warm up the enclosure you can use an under tank heater or a black Reptile light. I know Pet shops are closed but Walmart here is 24 hours and they do carry the black reptile bulbs.

Joan

Customer
OK we will try. Thank you. I hope it works.

Would you like me to locate some Herp Vets with a state? I would be happy to. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 starts so I can be compensated by the site for my answers.

Joan

Read less
unlike
1 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.