Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My bearded dragon is not moving and he's real limp a few

Customer Question

My bearded dragon is not moving and he's real limp a few hours ago he was awake and moving around
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dragon. What is the dragon's name and age?
Customer: Dio he is 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dio?
Customer: He seemed fine a couple hours ago underneath his neck is black
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear that Dio is having such a serious problem. We may not be able to help him, but we'll certainly try.First, you have to determine if he is alive. If you can see him breathing, that's good. If you can't see him breathing, pinch one of his back toes. You should get a reflex action. If you don't, it's too late. If you get the reflex, there is a first aid measure you can take. Prepare a shallow bath, deep enough to cover his vent (where droppings pass out). If you have some Pedialyte, make the bath half Pedialyte and half water at about 100*F. If you don't have Pedialyte, use just the water. Soak Dio for about 20 minutes. Be sure to hold his head out of the water so he doesn't drown.We have no way to know what happened - he may have fallen, he may have choked on food or substrate, or this could be a sudden illness. If he is alive, I recommend seeing your vet as soon as possible. If you don't have a vet, this site has a directory that will help you find one:http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlistAlso check your temperatures to make sure your basking light is functioning properly. Being either too hot or too cold can result in a beardie becoming completely lethargic. Directly under the basking light should be 105*-110*F. The coolest part of the cage should be in the low to mid-eighties.I hope Dio is still alive. Let me know if he is,and if he responds to the soak.Anna
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did soak him for about 4 or 5 minutes but pinching his toe is not doing any good he did take us at least a two foot fall earlier onto the floor from the couch
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oops not us
Expert:  Anna replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. Pinching his toe isn't supposed to do any good - it's supposed to tell you if he's alive. In a living lizard, pinching a back toe will cause a reflex action. Sometimes, even a lizard that isn't visibly breathing is still alive, and the toe pinch will tell you that. If you can't see him breathing and got no reaction from the toe pinch, then he has probably passed on. I feel bad to tell you that, but I believe you deserve honesty. I suspect he suffered internal injuries in the fall. Such injuries don't always have effects right away. For example, if there is slow internal bleeding, it can take hours or even days before the lizard will show symptoms or die. A brain injury may also not result in immediate symptoms. I was hoping we could get good results for Dio, but it doesn't look like that is to be. You did all you could. I know that words don't really help, but all I can do now is offer my condolences. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Anna

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Anna replied 10 months ago.

You're welcome. I hope you don't feel bad about the fall. Accidents do happen with our pets no matter how careful we are. It's nobody's fault. I hope with time, you'll only remember the joy Dio brought into your lives.

Anna

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Anna replied 10 months ago.

You're very welcome. Take care.