Our leopard gecko is 8 years old (female?) Her tail is very thin and skin is loose. This has been a month now and she is

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Our leopard gecko is 8 years old (female?)
Her tail is very thin and skin is loose.
This has been a month now and she is not eating as she used to.
She was a very hearty eater up to a few days ago.
Should she go to a vet, change her diet (Calcium/droppers) or will she live much longer.
Answered by Jav917 in 22 mins 6 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps in enclosure?

Passing stool?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

I just had a coll about a rescue. I will be away from the computer, but as soon as I get back will look for your response and be happy to assist you. Please respond to the questions so I have the information I have to help.

Joan

Customer
We have two leopard geckos in the same cage that's 18 x 18. Temperature is at about 82° with a surface heater underneath the tank. Crickets and freshwater given every day. Older Email gecko eight years old younger gecko two years old.
The older gecko was passing stools no problem but in the last week has stopped eating. But was very hearty in eating as soon as crickets were put into the tech.
Customer
Tank

Thank-you. There are a couple of possibilities going on with the Gecko. the Fist is a Parasite issue. This could cause the lack of appetite, weight loss and the issues you are seeing. Parasites can com in feeders and you would never know until the Gecko was ill like you are seeing now. Next issues could be an impaction. You did not say if you were using a sand or loose substrate. This is a very common with loose substrates. the last is is Cryptovirus which is a wasting diease. I all these cases the Gecko needs to see a Herp Vet asap. I can locate some with a State location.

In the mean time we need to start some first aid. Please give a warm soak in a shallow bowl in a 50/50 warm water and pedialyte soak. Once this is done mix some chicken baby food stage 1 with some calcium and drop on the snout and allow the Geck to lick it off. This way we are getting some nutrition going in.

I will locate a Herp Vets as soon as I get the State.

Joan

Checking in on your leopard gecko. Have you had the Geco seen by the Herp Vet? Please let me k ow how it is doing.

Joan

Hi Scott, I'm just following up on our conversation about Cutie. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.