Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My red-headed agama female isn't eating, she is a darker

color than normal, and she...
My red-headed agama female isn't eating, she is a darker color than normal, and she had these bumps under her scales all over her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the head's name and age?
Customer: I call her Athena, I have no idea how old she is, I bought her online a few weeks ago
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the head?
Customer: She is hardly moving, she is usually full of energy and runs across the room as soon as I open her cage, but right now she is just lying on my lap
10/18/2016
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile Rescue.

Can you post a Picture of what you seeing?

Can you tell me about her habitat?

Temps?

Do you use an Under the tank Heater?

Substrate?

UVB light linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Basking light?

Diet?

Supplements?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She lives alone in a large wooden habitat, green and brown felt flooring with some moss and small rocks mixed around
UVB 75 watt in the tank and an under tank heater
Thermometer says 85 F right now
She usually eats several mealworms a day, I dust them with calcium

Do you only have one light? A UVB is not described in Wattage. Do you have a linear tube or a compact coil UVB? It would be a 5.0, 8.0 or 10.0.

What are the enclosure temps?

How big is she hard to tell from pic. Is she a juvenile or adult?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a 75 heat lamp of some sort
It's 85 degrees in there
She about seven inches

Thank-you! First issue is you do not have a UVB light which means she is not metabolizing calcium that should be dusted on her Prey. She has not been eating enough, and she looks dehydrated. She needs a UVB bulb as soon as possible. This along with calcium work together to metabolize calcium into D3 in the body. The UVB I recommend is a linear tube Reptisun 10.0 to run the length of the tank. The Agama is seriously ill. she is dehydrated and under weight. I suspect she already has the onset of Metabolic Bone Disease. She needs to see a Herp Vet asap. If she is not seen she will not make it. With this being said I will give you some immediate first aid. Please give her a soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pediaylyte soak in warm water. You will need to support her since she is extremely weak. Next to feed take some chicken baby food and add a pinch of plain calcium and drop on snout and allow the Agama to lick it off. This may or may not help in her present condition. Please supply a State and I can find you a list of Vets.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this why she has all those bumps? She had a few when I first got her but didn't think much of it

It is hard to see the bumps in the picture, but everything else I mentioned is visible. She is very ill and the bumps may even have been from Mites. She needs to be seen by a Herp Vet tomorrow if possible and a UVB too. Please supply a State so I can locate some Herp Vets for you.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
South Carolina, greenville

Thank you. This is a link for Herp Vets in SC: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/southcarolina.html I did not see a Herp Vet in your city, but the list has others ta may be close. Please hit reply for any concerns. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars so I can be compensated by the site for my answers. Please let me know what the Vet says.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was giving her a warm bath, and the bumps on her started to flake off, the scales on the bumps came off...it didn't seem like it hurt her
What should I do about the other bumps, and the bits of bare skin that are exposed now?

You can us a little Neosporin only on the bare sore areas. She needs to see a Herp Vet today. As I said she is very ill and needs hands on help by a Herp Vet. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Have you had the Agama in to the Vet? Please let me know what the Vet has said.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was going to take her but she was already gone by the time I got home from school yesterday

I am so sorry for the loss. She was very ill. You are always best to get a Reptile locally where you can see what you are getting. My sincerest condolences.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician