Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

We bought Asian box tortoise and we just had it 3 days and I

Customer Question
believe it has respiratory infection...
We bought Asian box tortoise and we just had it 3 days and I believe it has respiratory infection eyes drying out and blowing bubbbles
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Reptile
9/30/2016
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 1 year ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.

Can you tell me if the bubbles are from nose or mouth?

Any wheezing?

Any open mouth breathing?

Is the turtle eating?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

No

Yes

Yes

And no

Thank-you for the information. This definitely sound like a Respiratory infection. Unfortunately the only way to resolve this is a Herp Vet visit for Antibiotics. I do suggest that you bump up the enclosure temps 5*, and make sure you give the turtle a good soak. If you supply a State I can locate a List of Herp Vets for you. I wish I could give you a Home treatment, but this is a common issue in turtles and if not seen can go into Pneumonia.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician