Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

We have a female bearded dragon that is sleeping all the

Customer Question
time won't wat or drink...
We have a female bearded dragon that is sleeping all the time won't wat or drink. Is this some sort of hibernation although we've had her a couple of years and it's not happened before?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dragon. What is the dragon's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's around 5yrs we gott her through a friend who could no longer keep her and she had her a couple of years so it's only an approximate age.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Grace?
Customer: No not really she's normally a very content dragon who sits basking on her rock?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Reptile
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I havent recieved a response yet is this something you can't help me with?
9/7/2016
Reptile Expert: Kelly Hill, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Bearded dragons can go through a period of brumation (hibernation in reptiles). This is not always necessary unless she is a breeding female. I need to ask a few questions.

What is the temperature range in her cage?

Please describe the set up for heating and light sources.

What is her diet?

Do you have any other reptiles?

How long has she been exhibiting this behavior?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Around 22 - 24 she has been line this for 2 weeks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The light was renewed in May she has a water fountain in the tank and she does drink from it but goes back to sleep

So her cage should range from 80-95 degrees degrees during the day and not go below 70 at night. She should have a Basking site that goes up to 100. You need to measure the temps with a thermometer on the basking site and not just the air temperature in the cage. Based on the temperatures you gave, she is likely too cold. This may play a factor in her lethargy. What is your light source? Do you have a heated basking spot? What is your weather like right now. She would benefit from 30-60 minutes of unfiltered sunlight, if it is not too cold outside where you are located. I suspect there are some husbandry issues that can be corrected and she will likely perk up. You need to weigh her every few days to keep and eye on her weight. If she is not improving after adjusting her environmental temperatures, then she needs to be seen by an exotics veterinarian.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In concerned that you have taken to much money from me. According to the information given it should have been £3 deposit then balance £10. You have taken £15. £3 deposit and a further £12

I am a user of this site like you are. It is best to contact customer service to let them know your concerns. I will also send them a note with your concerns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

katjadvm
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian