Background: We purchased a female Central American ornate turtle from a pet show 5 months ago from a Florida breeder (I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Background: We purchased a female Central American ornate wood turtle from a pet show 5 months ago from a Florida breeder (I know I know!). Her shell is 7-8 in long so she is fairly mature.
Symptoms: for the last 1-2 weeks she has been lethargic and has little to no appetite. Previously she had been happily eating mostly strawberries but would occasionally take banana, grapes, leafy vegs, and blueberries. We dusted the berries every third time or so with a calcium supplement.
Conditions: We keep her in a 110 gallon polypropylene water trough with approx. 13 sq ft of roaming space. Substrate is 2 in of pebbles, 1 inch sand, 8-10 inch cypress mulch mixed with sand kept moist for burrowing. There are some clumps of moss for color and decoration. We have a large wooden hide and basking area kept in the low 90 degrees with an infrared lamp. She typically climbs up on the hide to bask. She has a UVB bulb in her enclosure that is on during the day.
My suspicion: The ambient temp 74 degrees. I am suspicious that exposure to sustained temps below 80 degrees may be causing her lethargy
Corrective action: We are taking measures to increase ambient temp by including a spot lamp for during the day and covering the top of the trough to prevent heat leakage. We see no evidence of watery eyes although we can rule out infection.
I guess my question is, are there other measures we might take help? Thanks so much
Answered by Jav917 in 13 mins 6 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interetst in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.

Can you tell me if you have a UVB light, age of bulb, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Diet Prey/other foods?

Supplements?

Ambient temps and basking temps?

Joan

Customer
Can you tell me if you have a UVB light, age of bulb, compact coil, strength and brand?
Exo Terra Repti-Glo 10.0 Compact Fluorescent Desert Terrarium Lamp (26 Watt). Bulb was purchased new in March 2016. Bulb is suspended <20 in from top of substrate.Diet Prey/other foods? Primarily she would eat strawberries but would occasionally take banana, grapes, leafy vegs, blueberries, mango. We have presented her with dried meal worms and turtle pellets but she was never interested. She drinks tap water (city) that has been sitting for at least 24 hours prior.Supplements? Food dusted twice weekly with Zoo Med Repti Calcium with D3 Reptile SupplementAmbient temps and basking temps? Ambient temp 74-76 degrees, basking temp 88-95 degrees provided by a combination of an infrared lamp (on at all times) and a spot lamp (on during the day only). Therefore night time temps will be less.

Your temps are a bt low the ambient temps should be in the 80-90 and 90's in the basking area. The UVB should be on 12.5 hours a day.

The diet needs some improvement too. They need about 50% leafy greens, 20% Fruit, 10% Live prey like earth worms, crickets, grubs, roaches and pinkie mice and 20% Pellets. This give a better balance that is more natural for them. You should be giving a plain calcium 5 days a week and a Vitamin with D3 two days a week. I would be using bottle water either spring water or purified water.

As far as substrate you are better with 8" of sand to burrow in. Mulch is not good.

I would get the temps up and make the changes with diet adding the pellets and live prey which should perk the turtle up.I would also remove the mulch and go to a sand bedding. Be cautious with pebbles as I have seen them ingested and cause a blockage. Hopefully these changes will make a difference in behavior and activity.

Joan

Hi Chris,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Customer
Hi Joan thanks for the follow up. The turtle still hasn't eaten. We have gotten the temps up, the UVB light on and the water switched to spring water. We are working on switching over to sand from the Cyprus mulch. We have presented her with earthworms, crickets, leafy greens, and various fruits to no avail. Tonight we will try a Pangea fruit and insect mix, our crested gecko loves it. She does seem a bit more active, moving throughout the day between basking and burrowing. One thing my daughter noticed is the inside of her mouth used to be a bright red but now is quite pale. It doesn't appear splotchy or patchy as might be expected with a fungal or bacterial infection. So for now we will try presenting her with different foods and keep watch, Chris
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.