Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have a frilled dragon. 6 months old who will not move his

Customer Question

I have a frilled dragon. 6 months old who will not move his back legs. He is hanging at the bottom of the cage, barely eating, and when he tries to run he just pulls himself along with his front legs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dragon. What is the dragon's name?
Customer: Tieko.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tenko?
Customer: He only eats about 4 small crickets a day and sits at the top of his cage in one specific spot when he isn't laying on the bottom of the tank.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 12 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

Diet?

Supplements?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength age of bulb, and Brand?

Basking bulb?

Joan

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
His aquarium is 12 inches deep 30 inches wide 24 inches tall (35 gallon tall.) He has a t5 10.0 ho uvb zoomed brand light and He has a 40 watt day glow bulb flukers brand. The bulbs are about 3 months old. The bottom of his tank has cypress mulch about an inch high. He eats 5 crickets a day (3/4 in size crickets) won't eat anymore than that we've tried. He gets calcium on Monday and Friday and vitamins on Wednesday via powders that we put on crickets. He drinks regularly and drinks a lot whenever we mist him.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Update:crickets are 1/4 length not 3/4
Expert:  Joan replied 12 months ago.

Thank-you, we have two possibilities with what could be happening. One is an impaction which could have happened by trying to grab a cricket and ingesting bedding. Loose bedding is very dangerous and can cause a blockage. The other is calcium should be given 5 days a week. It is needed to metabolize the calcium into D3 in the body to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. We can try doing a soak in a 50/50 warm water soak and Pedialyte and massage the abdomen to try and promote a stool. If this does not help relieve possible pressure on the spine, I have to suggest a Herp Vet visit to determine what is going on and treat it. MBD is treatable and if a blockage, the Herp Vet can tell hands on. If you do not have a Herp Vet I can locate some for you with a State.

Joan