Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

There is tiny black worms In my red eared sliders tank,

Customer Question

There is tiny black worms In my red eared sliders tank
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the slider can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the slider's name and age?
Customer: Sally and George they are 18 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sally?
Customer: No I actually think that they are both male turtles they have never laid eggs
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I just want to let you know I'm working on your answer and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience and will be back shortly.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for waiting.It's common to find little worm-like creatures in turtle and fish tanks. They are not internal parasites from your turtles; such parasites are gray or white. Black worms are most often insect larva. They may turn into small flies when they reach their next life stage. These little worms won't harm your turtle, but you probably don't want them in your house. The best solution is a thorough tank cleaning. You'll need to put the turtles someplace safe. Then drain the tank and remove everything. You can use aquarium salt (sold in pet stores) to scrub the tank. Be sure to get the corners as the worms can hide there. Take apart your filter and clean all the parts. When you're finished, rinse the tank, and reassemble everything. Use de-chlorinated water to refill it.

The worms can be the result of an adult insect laying eggs in your tank or they can be transported in on foods or plants. The eggs can live for along time in dry foods, then hatch when the food is put in water.

If you have more questions, let me know. I hope you'll quickly be able to get rid of the little pests.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!