Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have a 2 year old leopard gecko that's not eating(2weeks

Customer Question

I have a 2 year old leopard gecko that's not eating(2weeks now) his mate is eating great how do I make him eat
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

Diet?

Supplements?

temps in enclosure and heat source?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same!!! All of the environmental s that he's been thriving in for 2+years are the same!!! 49 % humidity78-82 degrees, nutrient rich sand , mostly live super worms some crickets....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are in a 70 gal tank with multiple heat zones and logs an soak bowls
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heat pads and light !!! Other lizard is great and eats everyday!! Other day
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid that sand may be the culprit and the gecko may be impacted. That sand is sold as a safe substrate, but is deadly. The sand over time is tasted by geckos. What happens is it builds up in the intestinal tract and tuns into a concrete like material and can cause a partial to full blockage. We no longer recommend the sand for any of the Reptiles. The recommended substrates are cage carpet, tile, slate and paper, I suggest it be removed. This can also account for why one is ill and the other is not. It depends how much is ingested over the period of sand. This is a link about the sand as a substrate:

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/impaction/?page=3 This is from Bearded Dragons who are a lot larger than leopard geckos.

We can start to try and treat by giving a warm soak in a 50/50 pedialyte soak and warm water, while in the soak gently massage the abdomen to try and promote a stool. Hopefull we can get the blockage to start to pass. For feeding we can make a slurry by mixing some baby food chicken or beef and mix with calcium and drop on the snout and allow the Gecko to lick it off. This is a supplemental feeding to make sure something is going in. I do suggest a Herp Vet visit, because if I am correct, the gecko may need some medication. I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a State.

Joan