Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Ive had my desert tortoise 35 yrs, her tongue has always

Customer Question

Ive had my desert tortoise for around 35 yrs, her tongue has always been pinkish red, I noticed today when she was eating that it was very white. What does this mean ?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I would like to help you today.Usually when tissue that is normally pink turns white, it means blood is not being circulated normally. That in turn can indicate anemia, a heart problem, internal bleeding (which can be caused by many different conditions), or other health problems. The only way to know for sure is with a complete vet exam, including blood work.If your tortoise has any other symptoms, such as lethargy, appetite loss, breathing difficulty, or movement problems, you'll want to see a vet right away. If everything else seems normal, I would make an appointment tomorrow. It's a good idea to schedule an exam once per year routinely, but when a symptom appears it is even more important. If you don't have a reptile vet, give me your zip code and I'll find one for you. If you have other questions, just let me know. I hope your tortoise will be fine.Anna