Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My Bearded Dragon Has not pooped in about 2weeks. He is been hugging out in the hide all day.

Customer Question
Iv been giving him warm...
My Bearded Dragon Has not pooped in about 2weeks. He is been hugging out in the hide all day. Iv been giving him warm baths for the past 3 dats. after that he eats crickets. sits on his basking spot then goes back to his hide. he wont eat his veggies. he has a uvb reptisun bulb 36". He lives on news paper.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the reptilian's name?
Customer: Odin
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Odin?
Customer: low side temp 80 deg high side temp 110 deg.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Reptile
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is also about 18 months old.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dust food with vitamin's.
6/6/2016
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 1 year ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

Age of Dragon?

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet specific Veggies /Prey?

Supplements?

UVB light, how old, linear tube or compact coil strength and brand?

Basking light?

Temps in basking area, warm side and cool side?

How long since stool passed?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
about 18 months in age
hide on left. temp at 80 deg. basking spot on right about 110 deg. at high point. news paper sub straight.
it eats crickets as many as it will eat 10-30 a day. I offer it collard greens and endive. carrots and grapes sometimes. its not a big fan of veggies.
bulb is 36" long on inside of cage about 18 inches up on back wall facing down.UVB is a 10.0 REPTISUN about 2 months old. Basking spot Halogen bulb is 75 watt. ceramic heater at night to keep temp above 70 deg.
Supplements Calcium D3 weekdays and Multivitamins on weekends
over 2 weeks for poop

Husbandry is good which is nice to see. It is not unusual for a dragon over a year to go a week without going. Sometimes we do need to help them. Please feed some baby food prunes about 1 cc wait an hour and then place in a warm soak about 90*f and soak for 10 mins. While in the soak gently Massage the abdomen from snout to vent. This should promote a stool. If it does not work the first time you can repeat again the next day. I suggest you stop the carrots and add butternut squash to the diet. It is much better than carrot and will not cause eye problems the way carrot does.

If after a couple of days of prunes and soaks no stool is produced, then a Herp Vet visit will be needed to see if the Vet wants to use a medication or give an enema to relieve stool. If you do not have a Herp Vet please supply a state. If CA please let me know North or South.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician