I think my leopard gecko is getting metabolic bone disease, He's walking funny on his right leg, like almost not putting

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I think my leopard gecko is getting metabolic bone disease
JA: I'm sorry that Gecko is feeling poorly. What is wrong with Gecko?
Customer: He's walking funny on his right leg, like almost not putting weight on it
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: there doesn't look to be anything on it
JA: How old is Gecko?
Customer: he's 8 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gecko?
Customer: not really, he doesn't eat very much either
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Answered by Jav917 in 4 mins 6 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.Can you tell me about the set up?Substrate?Diet?Supplements?Temps in enclosure?Passing stools normally?State to locate a Herp Vet?Joan
Customer
He's in a medium vivarium, with three hides. He's on eco earth, and he eats mainly crickets and mealworms, but he doesn't eat very many. I dust the crickets and mealworms in calcium powder and nutrobal. The temperatures stay around 30-32 degrees celsius. He passes stool every other day. And I'm from the UK, I just wanted to see if I needed to take him to a vet or not.
What signs is he showing of Metabolic Bone Disease? Joan
Customer
He's just walking like his right foot is twisted. Like he doesn't want to put weight on it. I haven't noticed him doing that before, and it's worrying me.
Thank you. Your care from what you described is excellent. MBD comes from not metabolizing the calcium into D#3 in the body. You are doing everything right, so this may be something going on within the metabolic system that is not allowing him to metabolize the calcium into the D3 in the body. I a case like this it may be he twisted the leg or it could be MBD. I do suggest a Herp Vet visit. I have a list of Herp Vets in teh UK: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/england.htmlJoan
Customer
Could he have twisted it from lying funny and falling off something? Or is it usually something going on inside the body? I'm going to try to get him into a vet as soon as possible just in case.
He may have caught the leg and twisted it. Common problem with them. If MBD it may be a problem with Metabolism. Bets to have him checked out asap.Joan
Customer
Okay, I'll make an appointment tomorrow to get him looked at, thank you very much. I hope it is just a twisted foot and not mbd. I've tried so hard to keep him healthy. Thank you very much for your help. :)
You are doing well with him. I am sure the Vet can determine whats going on. Please take a moment to Rate my service 5 stars if I have addressed your concerns.Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.