Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

GreetingsMy name is ***** ***** question is in regards

Customer Question

Greetings
My name is ***** ***** question is in regards ***** ***** Savannah Monitor "Zypher" and his possible impaction, the symptoms...mainly dragging his back legs...happened all of a sudden, upon my return from work and in accordance with our standard operating procedure, I pulled him out of his encloser for a bath, which happens daily I might add, I immediately noticed what I at first thought as a limp, but soon realized was most likely an impaction, a first time for everything I guess and I'm interested in any advice you may have regarding treatment, keep in mind that I don't live near any qualified herp vets, I've checked, so any advice as to treatment would be something I will have to do myself...is this possible?
Text me at **** *** ****
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.You have already tried quite a few of the options available to you. I can give you an improvement to the baths that might help. You can give him either some plain pumpkin (NOT pie filling, but plain canned pumpkin) or some baby food prunes. Even though these are not normal foods for monitors, they may help. After giving him one of these foods, wait about 45 minutes. Next,Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants), and prepare a shallow warm bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your monitor for about 20 to 30 minutes. After the first 10 minutes, with him still in the water, gently massage his underside from front to vent for an additional 10 minutes. That may be enough to help him pass some feces. Be sure to supervise closely. This can be repeated, but if you don't get results, there won't be anything else to do, but see a vet. There are only a few places in the US that don't have reptile vets, and often we don't know about the vets in our area. If you'll give me your zip code, I'll be happy to check for you(at no additional fee). You also want to make sure this is impaction. Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) is actually the most common cause of paralysis in lizards. Even experienced keepers can accidentally forget to keep track of how old their UVB light is. So do check on that, too. If you have more questions, or want me to look for a vet, just let me know. I hope your monitor will be fine. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm enclosing a short video...maybe that'll help you diagnose the most likely culprit.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Your video isn't showing up yet, Travis. I'll keep an eye out for it, but some additional information can also help. What brand and size of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb? What do you normally feed? Any supplements? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Powersun uva/uvb 75 watts 2 months old.
Rep Cal Herptivite Multivitamin and Exo Terra Calcium + D3 and Dubia's, Hissers, Horn Worms and Ground Turkey...the San Diego Zoo Diet.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. With that information, I think we can rule out MBD. It's also very strange that he would become impacted on that diet. I suppose there's always the possibility he ate some substrate, and of course, sometimes impaction happens for no apparent reason. I suggest you try the things I gave you above. Do let me know if you want me to check on a vet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try the listed things, over the next few days, see if there is an improvement and if not a vet...thank you and goodnight.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I wish you success. Goodnight.