Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

Bulging eyes, not eating. Just recently shed so I thought that

Customer Question
was why they were swollen...
Bulging eyes, not eating. Just recently shed so I thought that was why they were swollen. Very lathargic.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the reptile. What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: Lizzy. She is 5 or 6 years old. I have been cleaning her eyes out with a contact solution. Seems to be helping some. We have another dragon in the same tank who has no issues at all.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Litzy?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of. These problems just started as she started shedding. She seemed fine before that.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Reptile
4/30/2016
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 1 year ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.Can you tell me about the set up?Substrate?Diet Prey Veggies?Supplements?UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, Brand, age of bulb?Temps in Basking area, warm side and cool side?I will be at lunch but will respond to you after I get backCan you please post a picture of the eyes?Joan
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unable to post pic of eyes at this time. The substrate was sand, but we replaced it with reptile carpet. They get crickets and also Bites for bearded dragons. It's soft, moist food. Specially formulated.Appetite stimulating, color & flavor. Also fortified food for bearded dragons. the UVB lighting is 60 watts , compact coil. Basking temp approximately 80 degrees. No supplements except what is in their food. Thank you.
Hello,There are two possible problems One is the coil bulb can cause Photo Kerato conjunctivitis or it could be a Vitamin issue. The diet is poor at best. The prepared diets are not very good. a Dragon under a year needs 80% live prey to include crickets, silk worms, phoenix worms and dubia roaches and 20% vegges. Over a year the percentages reverse. You do not mention either prey or veggies. I suggest that be one of the first things you do beside changing to a Linear Tube for the UVB bulb. I recommend the Reptisun 10.0 linear tube. Compact UVB problems: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htmThis is a Nutrition sheet: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.htmlYou also have an issue housing two dragons together. They are territorial and will fight to the death if two males. A Male and Female will breed until the female dies of breeding , calcium deficiency or egg binding. Last two females will also fight. They each should have a 40 Gallon breeder.As far as the eye, continue to use plain saline, but if I am correct about Vitamin A, the Dragon will need injections to get back on track and to heal the eyes. I can locate some herp Vets for you with a State. Make usre you dust all veggies and prey with calcium 5 days a week and 2 days with a Vitamin.Joan
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician