Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I came home from school and picked her up and she didn't move

Customer Question

I came home from school and picked her up and she didn't move or nothing I thought she was dead. She is shedding and has skin on her eyes I put her in warm water and tried to help get it off but she kept trying to get away she can't see out of her eyes cuz the skin is covering them I'm not sure what to do
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the reptile. What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: Lucy and about a year and a half of two years old not sure really
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. some additional information will be useful. What kind of reptile is Lucy? What temperatures do you maintain under her basking light and on the cool side of her enclosure? What substrate do you use on the cage floor? Thank you.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
It appears you went offline without seeing my request for more information. Because I don't want you to have to wait any longer, I'm going to go ahead and answer as best I can without knowing those things. The skin over the eyes are called eye caps. Removing them is the same in all reptiles, so I can tell you about that. If I had teh additional information, I might be able to tell you how to decrease the chances of this happening again in the future. Soak Lucy for 15-20 minutes in a warm bath. You may have to gently hold her in place. Then, use a Q-tip to dab some mineral oil (available in any drug store) on the eye cap. Leave it over night. If the eye cap is still retained after this treatment, try VERY GENTLY brushing your finger across the eye. That may cause the eye cap to move partially off the eye. If you can get an edge to come off, you can just take hold of it and remove it. Never use tweezers or other instruments to try to remove the cap: it's too easy to damage the eye. Here is a page where you can read more about retained eye caps:http://www.anapsid.org/eyeshed.html It's very easy for infection to settle in behind a retained ey cap, so if the method I gave you doesn't work after a couple of attempts, it would be best to see a reptile vet. If you need one, this link will take you to a directory: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist If you need anything else, let me know. I hope the eye caps will come off over night. AnnaMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna