Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My boy turtle has been injured by the girl who has been biting

Customer Question

my boy turtle has been injured by the girl who has been biting at his tail and breaking his shell off at the back edges. It has looked sore but he seems to have knocked / scratched it when out of the tank and now it is bleeding. what is the best thing to do please
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. I'm sorry to hear of this incident.Turtles do become aggressive with each other as they mature, so it will be best to separate these two permanently. It is very difficult to sex slider turtles, so you may even have two males.As a first aid measure, dilute some Betadine 50/50 with water, and use it to clean the wound. Betadine is sold in first aid departments of discount stores and pharmacies. If that brand isn't available, just ask for povo iodine. After using it, keep your turtle out of the water until the Betadine dries. Wounds like this are very prone to infection, and the shell may need some repair work done, so the best next step is to see a reptile vet.Regardless of what you choose to do, make sure you provide proper conditions for healthy shells. The UVB light has to be fresh - less than 6 months old. I recommend the Reptisun 10.0 in the straight tube style. Pet stores often sell people the wrong lighting, so if you are unsure about years, send me the brand and I'll check to see if it is right. Also place a cuttlebone (sold in bird departments of pet stores) in the tank to provide calcium. The turtle will eat what he needs.The basking area should be between 85*Fand 90*F. A warm basking area is important for she'll health.If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your turtle will heal uneventfully.Anna