I have a leopard gecko who is just over a year old. He has been with us since late December. His cage ambient

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a leopard gecko who is just over a year old. He has been with us since late December. His cage ambient temperature is 70-95 degrees, with a cooler and a warmer end. He has a hidebox at the cooler end and a climbing rock at the warmer end. The warmer end also is more humid, with humidity ranging from 20-40%. He has always been an enthusiastic feeder (crickets, with mealworms for treats every few days) with bright yellow and orange colors. In the past week, though, his behavior has become very lazy. He seems to be sleeping a lot of the time outside of his hidebox, and it can take him three days to eat the half-dozen crickets dropped into his habitat. His colors have taken on a muted, dark hue as if he's about to shed, but he shows no signs of shedding. Also, one eye is frequently now half-closed while the other is open normally. He sometimes gets up and wanders about the cage, but otherwise he just lays there, not even showing interest in food (about which he was formerly extremely enthusiastic). His behavior and color changed abruptly, when I began giving him crickets purchased not from my usual supplier. If you have any guesses as to what might be amiss with him, I'd appreciate it. Oh, and the little guy appears actually to be a little girl, lacking the obvious pre-anal pores and twin tail bumps. Any ideas? Thanks very much. :)
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the girl's name?
Customer: Terrence. Or Terry. She's comfortable with her sexuality, so it doesn't seem to make much difference to her. :)
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Terrence?
Customer: I'm thinking. I thoroughly cleaned her cage a few days ago, just before she began acting strange. I cleaned it with windex and paper towels, shook out the substrate carpet, and am pretty diligent about removing the nightly poo. Terence isn't the most socialized of lizards, but tonight she let me scoop her right up, and she just sat in my hand, not even wandering up my arm. That rather concerned me.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Answered by Jav917 in 7 mins 6 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.Can you tell me about tank set up?Normal diet?Substrate?Supplements?Do you have a moist hide in the tank?when was last shed?Do you leave crickets in the tank?Joan
Customer
Tank is a standard 10-gallon terrarium. Reptile carpet substrate, an under-tank heating pad, and two lights sitting on the screen over the top. The purple light and the yellow light are on during the day, only the purple on at night. There is a hidebox under the purple light, a climbing rock and water dish under the yellow light, and a dish or mealworm treats.Terrence's normal diet is four to six large crickets every other day, with a few mealworms on the in-between days. I do leave the crickets in the tank, which has not been a problem until the past week or so: normally, Terrence charges right out of his hidebox to get his cricket on (so to speak), but has shown no interest in the crickets or mealworms in several days. He has produced to small stools, with fecal element and urates, but the stools were quite small. Formerly, he produced a good-sized stool every night. He gets no supplements except crickets dusted with calcium a couple times per seek. He last shed about two weeks ago. I do leave crickets in his tank, which has only become a problem these past few days, when he hasn't been eating them. Tonight, however, all the crickets and mealworms seem to be gone, so unless that have found a way to get beneath the substrate, I assume that Terence ate them. He has spend a lot of time sleeping outside his hidebox the past couple of days, but once in a while he'll climb onto his rock or his hide and stand up straight, looking impressively dinosaurian. :-) When I picked up him up tonight, he showed not interest in getting away; he just sat there in my hand until I put him ack in his tank. And, finally, his right eye is frequently squinting while his left eye is not, and his colors are quite muted. Any advice or insight you could provide would be much appreciated.
Please do not leave the crickets in the tank or the meal worms. they will bit the host and cause abscesses. Only feed wheat can be eaten in 15 mins. no more. She should have calcium in the tank at all times in a small dish. Leos love to lick anc aclaoium is one thing they ook for in the tank. They do need a mosit hide in the wam side of the tank. It is easily made out of an old margeine container. Cut a hole in the side of the container. Then place moistened paper towels in the top lid and place in enclosure upside down This aids with shedding. I have two concerns. one is a possible paraiste issue and the other is retained shed in the eye causing it to close. You can try some plain saling in the eye without preservatives. You need to adjust the temps. The should be 79-80 on cool side and on the warm side 84-86. If too warm or too cold the Gecko will shut down.We can try a soak to help her feel better in a shallow war water and Pedialyte soak for hydration and electrolytes. Wen in the soak gently massage the abdomen to produce a stool. You can supplemental feed by using a chicken baby food mced with some plain calcium. Just drop a dab on the snout and allow the gecko to lick it off. If this does not resolve then a Herp vet visit will be needed. Please supply State to locate some for youJoan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.