U have a bearded dragon and he has stopped eating, I have tried all kinds of and fruits, his favorite was crickets and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello, u have a bearded dragon and he has stopped eating, I have tried all kinds of green and fruits, his favorite was crickets and now he has stopped eating them also. He doesn't move around much anymore and sleeps alot, he is a year old
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dragon. What is the dragon's name?
Customer: My son named him and it's a wierd name I can't remember, lol.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dragon?
Customer: No, he has been healthy until a couple of weeks ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Answered by Jav917 in 16 mins 6 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.Can you tell me about set up?Substrate?Diet veggies/Prey?Supplements?UVB light, how old, linear tube or compact coil strength, brand and age?Basking light?Temps in basking area, warm side and coll side of the tank?Passing normal stool?Joan
Customer
His cage is the same as the day we bought him, beside buying new bulbs, the temperature has always been the same in the past year, but we will be moving him in a bigger tank, but right now I really don't want to do that to stress him out .
Customer
He has always ate green, and crickets.
I am sorry to best be able to assist you I need specifics I asked for. There are certain issues in Husbandry over time can affect a Dragon.If you can supplies these answers I will be happy to assist you. Joan
Customer
We got his lights about 3 months ago, so they should be fine, he has one side to keep warm, and the light for night time, he hasn't been eating so he hasn't had much vowel movement, but it wasn't runny.
Customer
We feed him greens, fruits veggies, and crickets off and on, but now he don't eat, just sleeps alot
Customer
The temperature has always been 90 or 95, we keep fresh water in the cage and spray him down once aday
Is the UVB light a linear tube or compact coil, the strength is i a 5.0, 8.0 or 10.0 and brand?What type of substrate are you using?There are 3 temps zine the basking area, the warm side which is ambient temps and cool side. Can you tell tell me the temps in those areas? What type of temp guage do you use. This is ha great bearing on activity and appetite.What specific greens do you feed? Some are ocassional, some are a staple and some should not be fed.Are you using any supplements?I have been doing this close to 40 years and there are many factors that can affect the Dragon.
Customer
The greens we use is more like green leafs like turnip greens, kale greens, bell peppers, in that order of greens, and celery and peeled cucumbers. Now the side of the basking is around 100, cause it's closer to the light, the other side is around 90
Customer
The temp gage is one the pet store person advised us to use, and they had it in there cages
Customer
The flooring, is that real fine sand that don't hurt him if he got some in is mouth
Customer
The light is a compact coil 8.0
Customer
Luke I said he was doing fine and was active, than all of sudden he stopped eating
Customer
Like
Customer
We also give him growth formula juvenile bearded dragon food and maintenance formula for adult
Hello,Dragons need a 10.0 UVB the 8.0 does not have enough Output. This can make a difference. The Sand they sold you is deadly. It is calcium carbonate and when enough is ingested it hardens to a concrete like substance in the gut causing an impaction http://www.beardeddragons.co.za/bearded-dragon-impactions/. This is a common problem We do not recommend any loose substrates. We suggest tile, cage carpet or paper. This could be part of the problem with lack of appetite as well as lethargy. The temps are a bit cool too the Basking area should be 105-110, the warm side mid 90's and the cool side in the 80's. The temp gages in the pet shops are inaccurate. A temp gun or a digital proble theremometer is what we recommend to be able to check all 3 zones.The diet of Kale binds calcium. It is an acassional Veggie, not a Staple. This is a Nutrition sheet: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.htmlWe need to make some changes to help your Dragon, I would change out the sand immediately to paper towels. The UVB should be changed to a Reptisun 10.0 linear tube. The temps need to be incresaed as mentions.The prepared foods are worthless. The Dragon under a years need 80% live prey to include crickets, silk worms, Phoenix worms and Dubia roaches. The Veggies at 20% to include collard greens, mustard greens, escarole, curly endives, butternut squash and dandelion greens and flowers. The food needs to be dusted 5 days a week with a plain calcium ans 2 days a week with a Vitamin.We need to get the Dragon into a warm soak of 50/50 water and Pedialyte solution. This will aid with hydration. While in the soak gently massage the abdomen to promote a stool. If a stool does not pass, then you can try feeding some baby food prunes, by dropping on the snout and allowing the Dragon to lick it off. Once the prunes are given, wait one hour then place back in a soak and repeat the abdoinal massage. This should help. If the temps are too low the Dragon cannot dishet food. If this is an impaction we need to try and get the Dragon to pass soe stool. If this problem continues, a Herp vet visit will be needed. I can locate some for you with a State. When in the soak please support the Dragon so it does not slip under. Joan
I know you feel you should be able to trust your Pet shop, but they are there to sell products and do not have the education on Care and Husbandry. Please let me know if you have further questions or if you need a Herp Vet and I can look some up with a State. When I have addressed your concerns please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.I will be out for a short period of time, to check on a Rescue I was called on.Joan
Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.