Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My bearded dragons eyes won't open, and one eye looks like

Customer Question
black liquid is coming out...
My bearded dragons eyes won't open, and one eye looks like black liquid is coming out. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Reptile
4/22/2016
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 1 year ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Your dragon probably has an eye infection. I do recommend seeing a reptile vet, but if you choose not to do that, I'll give you some steps you can try first. If you use a loose substrate, like sand or crushed walnut, I recommend that you get rid of your present substrate. One of the most common causes of eye irritations that lead to infection is a loose substrate. Bits of it get in the eyes, causing problems. I realize that pet stores recommend these substrates, but they really are bad. They also cause respiratory problems and impactions. The best substrates are solid ones, such as reptile carpet, ceramic tiles, or shelf paper. You can temporarily use paper towels until you can find another substrate. You can gently wipe the eye with a warm wet cloth. Besides cleaning your beardie’s eyes, you can put in a few drops of saline solution (the kind made for contacts) twice a day. That will soothe the eyes and help flush out any irritants. If you get rid of any loose substrate and use the saline solution for several days with no improvement, it would be best to see a reptile vet. Infection that needs to be treated with antibiotics has probably set into the eyes. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlistI also recommend that you give her a special soak. Prepare a warm shallow bath of 1/2 Pedialyte (made for human infants and available in discount stores and pharmacies) and 1/2 water. Soak her in the bath for 20 to 30 minutes. This can be repeated once or twice a day.
Sorry, I accidentally hit send before I was finished. Here is the vet link in live form so it will work: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist Make sure your beardie is warm enough - 105*F to 110*F under the basking light, and 80*F to 85*F on the cool side. Warmth can give the immune system a boost. If your dragon has other symptoms, such as appetite loss, lethargy, discharge from the nose, etc., it will be important to see a vet right away, without waiting. If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your beardie will be fine. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Thank you for the pictures. I suspect she does have an eye infection. She also looks a bit dehydrated, so be sure to do a long Pedialyte soak as soon as possible.Because pet stores give out so much incorrect information, I’m also sending along a care sheet, courtesy of Joan, another of our experts. Joan has many years experience keeping and rescuing beardies.Her care sheet is used on some reputable websites, so you may have even seen it before. I suggest that you use the care sheet as a check list to provide the best possible care for your beardie. Let me know if you need anything else.Anna Bearded Dragon Care SheetBearded dragons should be housed alone.Ages of bearded dragons follow these guidelines: 0-3 months- baby 3-12 months-juvenile 12-18 months- sub adult 18 months + -adult Bearded dragons live as much as 10-12 years if well cared for properly.Bearded dragons have a very good temperament as long as they are cared for and handled.When you bring your baby home, it may be quite stressful to him/her to get use to new home. May not eat well the first 2-3 days. They may not need to be handled the first 2-3 days if skittish and nervous.Never use sand or any other type of loose substrate: Loose substrates can cause impaction (not being able to go Poop) in all ages of bearded dragons- they lick their environment to explore .It is difficult to keep germ free and clean. Ceramic tile, newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner and reptile carpet is what is most recommended. Use paper towels for the little one and as they get bigger you can change to something else.Be sure you keep your beardies home as clean as you can. Clean up by spot cleaning when needed. Clean & sanitize entire tank every 10-14 days. A good cleaning solution is a 20% bleach solution. If you choose to use wood climbing branches etc, these should be soaked in the bleach solution and rinsed well. Then bake in 250 degree oven for 30 minutes.Need a climbing accessory: to bask and to warm up under basking heat light and lower branches or platforms to come down and cool off.A hide of some sort like a cave.A food dish and water dish.Plastic spray bottleCan use artificial plants when they get older- 3 months or so.Digital thermostat and/or temp gunTank size: Minimal size tank for this age is 20 gallon longMinimal size for older beardie: 4 months of age: 40 gallon breeder is the minimal tank size for older dragon. Can divide a 40 gallon breeder for a smaller dragon. Must have two lights for your beardie. A UVB light source-best is 10.0 Reptisun that runs the length of your tank. Your dragon must have this light to metabolize calcium. If not he will get metabolic bone disease, a serious condition. You can also take your beardie outside to bask in the sun for 15 minutes each day if your temps are 80 degrees or above outside. You can purchase cages or reptariums from your pet store. Never leave a beardie outside unattended.2. A basking type light that puts out heat and warmth above basking spot. Your beardie must have warmth to digest food & thrive.Lights should be on for 12-14 hours each day. Follow the seasons and light timers are a great luxury if you can get them. 6 dollars at Lowe's. No lights or warmth needed at night unless your temperatures get below 62 degrees. If they do, there are ceramic heat emitters that put out no light, only heat. Use these at night if temperatures fall below 62 degrees. Temperatures have to be kept at the following ranges during the day: Babies: Warm basking log: 105-115* degrees F (40.5 - 46*C) Cool side: 85-90 (29.5 - 32*C)Adults: Warm basking spot: 105-110*F (40.5- 43*C) Cool side: 80-85 (26.6 - 29.5*C)Measure temperatures with a digital probe type thermometer or a temp gun-these are most accurate. Stick on thermometers unreliable.Feeding a Beardie: Beardies eat live prey consisting of crickets, roaches and/or silkworms. Never feed any size of mice to your beardie. Never feed meal worms. They also must be given greens/veggies everyday. The younger they are the more live prey they should have. As they grow older the live prey decreases and the veggies/greens should be the major part of diet. Never feed anything bigger, than the space between your beardie's eyes. This includes both live prey and pieces of veggies/greens,.A chopper or food processor is a huge help when your beardie is small. Always offer greens and veggies: collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, cabbage, red cabbage, fresh green beans, yellow summer squash, butternut squash, sweet potato, cactus pad. Apricots, strawberries, apples, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe- fruits are treats only.What is live prey? The easiest and less expensive live prey is crickets when you have a young or first beardie. The other live preys you can feed are silkworms, and special types of roaches. You can learn to raise your own live prey. Treats can be wax worms, super worms, and tomato/Goliath worms. You may find that ordering live prey from the internet is the way to go..... Never leave live prey or greens/veggies in tank overnight. . Crickets can bite your beardie when sleeping.Babies should get 80% live prey, and 20 % greens/veggies. But since the greens/veggies are a must when they are older, get them eating their greens/veggies very early. Give greens/veggies in small pieces everyday. You should eventually start decreasing your older dragon's protein intake when they are about a year to 15 months old. Their protein intake decreases to 20 % live prey and 80% veggies/greens. A baby eats 50-75 crix a day depending on the size of the crickets. Never feed crix or veggies bigger than the space between your beardie's eyes. Use this guide when buying crix or chopping your greens/veggies.You must provide calcium dust without D3 and multivitamin dust for your beardie. You should dust the live prey with calcium one time a day, and vitamins 3 times a week. Just collect your live prey into baggie and add enough calcium and vitamin to dust them. Then pour a few at a time into your tank. Some people feed their beardie in a separate tank so that no crickets can hide. Or some take out "furniture" from tank and feed this way. As they get older, 4-5 months or so dust live prey with calcium 3 times a week.Feed the veggies/ greens 1st thing in morning after lights on for one hour at least. Then after 2-3 hours offer crix. Then freshen green/veggies. Then give more crix. Make sure after last crix feeding there is at least 1-2 hours of lights so that they can digest their food before night time. Beardies over the age of one year old during the winter months will go into a Brumation like most Reptiles and Herps. It is a form of Hibernation that is governed by the weather and time of year. The lights should be on a shorter period at this time. Fresh greens should be available during this period. Do not feed live prey during Brumation. Water: Mist your little one with the spray bottle 3-4 times a day. You can also offer a small dish of water in your enclosure but be sure your dragon is not too small to drown in it. It is recommended that when your beardie is 2 months old you can bathe your baby in a small plastic container with warm water- not hot. It will help them to stay hydrated. As they get older you can move up to the bathroom sink and then to the bathtub. Very important for bath enclosure to be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed prior to bath time. Clean between dragons too if bathing more than one.Fruits and Vegetables:http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.htmlWalnut Shell Graphic:http://mrskingsbioweb.com/beardeddragngrossanatomy.htmSexing Bearded Dragons:http://repticzone.com/articles/sexingbeardeddragons.html
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist