How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anna Your Own Question
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Category: Reptile
Satisfied Customers: 11508
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
Type Your Reptile Question Here...
Anna is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are you familiar with turtles? JA: No. I'm the Veterinarian'

Customer Question

Are you familiar with turtles?
JA: No. I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant.
Customer: So do you send the question to the veterinarian familiar with exotic animals?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the turtle?
Customer: He has an infection, but the Vet can not follow up with him until Tuesday. I am not sure what to do to help until then...He is semi aquatic, so I can not totally ban him from the water, and as far as moisture on land. I could turn off his fogger, but that may totally dry him out and dehydrate him.
JA: Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the turtle's name and age?
Customer: Henry, 4 years old..CA Ornate Wood Turtle
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to clarify that I had already brought him to the Vet, and that they had done a partial blood panel. It just came back today, indicating an infection. They did not do a culture so do not know what type. His symptoms were that he was lethargic, and had bubbles coming out of his nose. They can not follow up until Wednesday..( I thought Tuesday) I have read that respiratory infections are potentially fatal in turtles, and just wanted to see what I could do in the mean time..Thank you for your help..
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear that your wood turtle is ill. The symptoms certainly do point to a respiratory infection. You're right that such infections are potentially fatal because they can quickly progress to pneumonia. With bubbles coming from the nose, most vets will go ahead and diagnose an RI, and prescribe antibiotics. Waiting until Wednesday could be dangerous. If this were my turtle, and I couldn't get him back in until then, I would seek out another vet under these circumstances. If you want to do that, give me your zip code and the name of the vet you already saw, so I can find another one (there is no additional charge). In the meantime, all you can do is make sure your turtle is warm enough. There are no home treatments for RI. For a Central American ornate, the basking area should be in the high 80*sF to the low 90*sF. The ambient air should be in the low to mid-eighties. You might want to leave the lights on a bit longer than usual, too. The additional few hours of warmth can give the immune system a boost. If you have more questions, or want help finding another vet, just let me know. I hope your turtle will reacha full recovery. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Anna. He saw Dr Bennett at the Bird and Exotic Clinic, because his regular Vet, Dr. Maas, (Puget Sound Referral/Blue Pearl), was unavailable. He didn't present symptoms at the visit, so I don't know if she believed me, and didn't do a culture. As a result, she doesn't know what type of infection, and stated that she wanted me to bring him in on Wednesday, do a culture, and wait for results. that would mean probably not going on antibiotics until Friday, at the earliest. I agree that I would prefer that he go on a broad spectrum antibiotic, rather than wait until later in the week. I am aware of the Exotic Veterinarian's in the area, and will pursue another Vet on Monday, or ask her if it is possible to prescribe something.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. the vets you saw are members of the Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians, but not all Exotic vets are. Just in case, I'll give you a link to the list of members in your area. Regardless of you see, I hope you can quickly get some help. Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?