Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I have a Burmese python that hasn't taken a meal in 3

Customer Question

I have a Burmese python that hasn't taken a meal in 3 months, she has been fighting some problems that she aquired from her previous owner. Such as URI and scale rot. She is 10' and roughly 20lbs she is in an 8' cage with a 90 degree hot spot. She was in a room with some male burmese pythons and all my other reptiles, but i recently moved her out to see if it would help. I know it's common for snakes to go off feeding for a while, but I'm concerned because of her health issues and currant weight, that she is going to continue loosing weight any thing you could suggest to help her eat? There aren't any knowledgeable exotic vets around me, and I'm not to fond of antibiotics. Any ideas to help her get back on food and fight of the illnesses naturally?
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her scale rot has gone away due to proper care, and her respiratory infection isnt very serious. From my experience with sick snakes so far, if I can get them eating and in proper care they have been able to kick any illness. So I guess what I'm originally asking for is tips to get her back on food.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, JACustomer. Can you tell me more about your burm?

1) Is she a normal or a morph?
2) She she normally fed live, stunned, pre-killed or frozen/thawed?
3) What has been tried as far as prey items? How large?
4) What is the humidity level in her cage?
5) What is the ambient temperature?
6) Do you have a picture of her body condition as well as her face where I can see her rostral/nasal scales?
7) How long had the URI been an issue?
8) Any signs of star gazing?