Is the prepared food with freeze dried crickets an meal worms a good staple with bugs and worms as treats or shpuld I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Is the prepared food with freeze dried crickets an meal worms a good staple with bugs and worms as treats or shpuld I stay with large meal worms, butter, horned, and silk worms with roaches and large crickets as mainstay with commercially prepared as treat? I love my husband and wife team and want the best for them????
Answered by Jav917 in 12 mins 6 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Are the two Dragons housed together?

Diet Veggies/Prey?

Supplements?

Joan

Customer
housed together. Fresh multi-greens salad with fresh dark orange and green veggies daily- changed daily. Freeze dried food always available - live bugs and worms 3-4 times/wk - eat to full. Vitamin sprayed on salad- bugs and worms gut load vitamins mixed with their medium (wheat cereal).

Thank-you for the information. WE generally do not recommend two dragons be housed together since a male will over breed a female causing a shortened life span. We normally when we breed bring the female to the male to breed and when done separate them.

As far as the canned food it is not recommended because it is not nutritious and only a filler and very high in Chitin since all it basically is only the shell. As far as meal worms and super worms we do not feed those to Dragons again for two reasons 1) the chitin and 2) they are fatty and later on can cause liver issues. The prey recommended is Crickets, Dubia Roaches, Silk Worms, Phoenix worms and for a treat we uses horned worms.

The rest of the diet sounds great. Just a couple of minor issues would need to be resolved as far as diet. The other feeders I mentioned can all be ordered on line and are very healthy and highly suggested.

Joan

Wanted to check in and see if you found my information helpful. I feel education of the owner is most important for the health of the Bearded Dragon.

Joan

Customer
Thank you! Very informative. Curly and Moe produce about 2'ish clutches a year, and produce average 20'ish beautiful perfect eggs per clutch; which I give to good friend who owns a pet store here in Clearwater to hatch. He hatches and sells baby dragons as a favor because I am not into deagon breeding. Are 2-3 clutches a year too many?
They live in a luxury 125 gallon custom made 1 & 1/2 storey glass - lake facing habitat. They seem to act like BFFs - running and chasing bugs and stalking worms and having fun competing...
I do add silks, butters and horned worms to their diets - 2 times a week- 3-4 wheN I suspect Curly is pregnant.
Yes, I am in a local dragon cult who adores their babes as I do. Mine like a few others interact with other pets- dogs and cats in bousehold. Each dragon kid has their own specific cat who "sun bathes" in morning sun reflecting "bright and hot" off lake behind my house. The crazy dragons each run to their fave cat and, crawl up on cat and snooze peacefully as long as cat snoozes in their puddle of sun....
Obviously the kids are spoiled rotten....while out of their habitat a couple hrs a day; they follow me around - requiring care footfall..

Glad to hear the information was helpful. I am very fussy on diet and supplements. My oldest dragons lived to the ripe old age of 13 and 14 years old. That is old for Dragons. I would appreciate if you could take a moment to Rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.