Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My red eared slider is 20 years old and in the past day and

Customer Question

My red eared slider is 20 years old and in the past day and a half she two of her claws and has been bleeding from the sites. I have her in a aquarium without water. I have put betadine solution on the areas and also I have used an antibiotic ointment. I have had her out in her feeding dish for about 20 minutes today and when I dried her off and put her back in the aquarium with out water she started bleeding again. I am very concerned about her and wonder if there is anything else I can do for her and how serious a problem this could be. Thank you for your help. Beverly Webster
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Beverly Webster?
Customer: I can't think of anything except the fact that she had been a very healthy turtle up to this point. She is very agitated not being in her aquarium with water.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

Can you tell me is she gets vitamins or supplements?

Doe she scratch the side of the tank for this to happen?

Do you see any sore areas?

Diet?

UVB light age?

State to locate a Herp Vet if needed?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I give her Wardley Reptile Stucks which does contain vitamins and supplements. I also give her a small frozen shrimp each day with the sticks. Her light is probably about 60 to 90 days old. I honestly don't know how she lost her first claw. We were cleaning her aquarium out and had her in another plastic container while doing this. She lost another one this afternoon while having her in dry dock. She has been very agitated being out of her water. She has been climbing the walls of the aquarium. The bleeding isn't a huge amount, however I am so afraid of infection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Tuscaloosa Alabama 35405. The turtle has been very healthy and has no sores anywhere on her body.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Thank-you for the information. The sticks and shrimp should be supplemented with leafy greens. The diet we suggest is 50% leafy greens, 25% pellet food and 25% live prey or cooked meats. It is also important that the turtle has a calcium supplement available at all times like a cuttle bone.

WE can try and stop the bleeding using a stypic pencil like used for shaving. it should stop the bleeding and seal the area. I would clean the area with the diluted Betadine and water and then seal the areas bleeding and follow up with the Neosporin. I will give you a link for Herp Vets. this may be a vitamin deficiency causing it and they can also give an antibiotic. This is a link for Herp Vets in AL : http://www.anapsid.org/vets/alabama.html You may have to travel a bit, but these Vets have reptile Experience.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan