Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My 21 yr old ball python is, has pink fluid pockets under s

Customer Question

my 21 yr old ball python is
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the python?
Customer: has pink fluid pockets under his skin
JA: What is the python's name?
Customer: and
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about And?
Customer: George
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
his skin is very loose. his mouth keeps opening partially
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.

From your description, it sounds like your snake may have vesicular dermatitis, also caused blister disease. Those fluid pockets you see can be signs of this. It can be caused by too much humidity, a damp substrate, mites, or the salmonella bacteria. If not treated promptly, septicemia (blood poisoning) can result. Your snake will need to be seen by a reptile vet. This link will take you to a directory of herp vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

I’ll also give you some first aid measures you can take. You can treat the snake’s skin with Betadine, or give him a soak in a shallow Betadine/water bath. Betadine is available in the first aid department of discount stores and pharmacies. Follow that with an application of plain Neosporin. Repeat twice a day until you can get to the vet. You’ll also need to remove all substrate and replace it with plain paper. You can read more about vesicular dermatitis at these sites:

http://www.reptileexpert.co.uk/blisterdisease.html

This is an iguana site, but the information still applies. Scroll down to ‘Vesicular Dermatitis.’

http://www.anapsid.org/blackskin.html

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your python will reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With him being 21 years old I am hesitant to seek a vet. He is also not interested in eating.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I understand that. With any infection there can be appetite loss. Also, in old age, a lot of things can go wrong at once when they begin to decline. You'll have to make decision. You know your snake better than anyone, and if it looks like he is nearing the end of his lifespan, you may choose to have a vet humanely end his suffering, or you can just try to keep him as comfortable as possible. Another option is to try treating this yourself with the first aid measures I gave you above. If he responds to them and his skin starts to heal, his appetite may perk up again. With any older animal, we just have to take it day by day, and make the best decisions we can for the circumstances. These issues of dealing with their last days are the hardest part of caring for our pets. There are no right or wrong answers. All we can do is look at all the aspects of the situation, and make the best decision we can.