Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My 21 yr old ball python is, has pink fluid pockets under s…

Customer Question
My 21 yr old...

My 21 yr old ball python is

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the python?

Has pink fluid pockets under his skin

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the python's name?

And

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about And?

George

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
his skin is very loose. his mouth keeps opening partially
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/7/2016
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 2 years ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.

From your description, it sounds like your snake may have vesicular dermatitis, also caused blister disease. Those fluid pockets you see can be signs of this. It can be caused by too much humidity, a damp substrate, mites, or the salmonella bacteria. If not treated promptly, septicemia (blood poisoning) can result. Your snake will need to be seen by a reptile vet. This link will take you to a directory of herp vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

I’ll also give you some first aid measures you can take. You can treat the snake’s skin with Betadine, or give him a soak in a shallow Betadine/water bath. Betadine is available in the first aid department of discount stores and pharmacies. Follow that with an application of plain Neosporin. Repeat twice a day until you can get to the vet. You’ll also need to remove all substrate and replace it with plain paper. You can read more about vesicular dermatitis at these sites:

http://www.reptileexpert.co.uk/blisterdisease.html

This is an iguana site, but the information still applies. Scroll down to ‘Vesicular Dermatitis.’

http://www.anapsid.org/blackskin.html

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your python will reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

With him being 21 years old I am hesitant to seek a vet. He is also not interested in eating.

I understand that. With any infection there can be appetite loss. Also, in old age, a lot of things can go wrong at once when they begin to decline. You'll have to make decision. You know your snake better than anyone, and if it looks like he is nearing the end of his lifespan, you may choose to have a vet humanely end his suffering, or you can just try to keep him as comfortable as possible. Another option is to try treating this yourself with the first aid measures I gave you above. If he responds to them and his skin starts to heal, his appetite may perk up again. With any older animal, we just have to take it day by day, and make the best decisions we can for the circumstances. These issues of dealing with their last days are the hardest part of caring for our pets. There are no right or wrong answers. All we can do is look at all the aspects of the situation, and make the best decision we can.