Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

He is an older bearded dragon and he has started dragging s…

Customer Question
He is an older...

He is an older bearded dragon and he has started dragging his rear legs. I do have UVB lighting

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dragon's name and age?

Link 7yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Link?

He is still eating well. I have not dusted his food with calcium lately

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
3/4/2016
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 2 years ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Some additional information will be useful. How long has it been since your dragon had calcium? How old is your UVB bulb? Has the dragon been passing normal droppings? Thank you.

The bulb I bought this school year. He has been passing normal dropping. I normally feed him dusted crickets but he stopped eating them before christmas
He does eat a pelleted bearded dragon food that has calcium and I was hoping it was enough

Thank you for getting back to me. Constipation is a common cause of back leg dragging, but we can rule that out. We'll need to do a little more detective work. Can you tell me the brand of your UVB light? Does he eat anything besides the pelleted food?

The brand is All Living Things. His primary diet is worms. Meal worms, super worms, and Phoenix

Thank you. I'm working on your answer now, and I'll post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience. I'll be back shortly.

Thank you for waiting. I suspect you got your original information on care from a pet store. Most people do. While we should be able to rely on such information, unfortunately, it is often wrong. They sell people the wrong lighting, advise the wrong foods, and often don't know the correct temperatures for the various reptiles. After years of things not being quite right, the animal becomes ill. Some of what you have been told is wrong. Even though you have been trying so hard to keep your dragon healthy, when you didn't have correct information to begin with, things are going wrong.

There are two remaining possibilities. One is an injury to the spinal cord, but I imagine you would know if he had suffered a fall. He most likely has Metabolic bone Disease (MBD). This can be from insufficient calcium or insufficient UVB light. UVB lights are only good for 6 months, if they have an output of 10.0. a light with a 5.0 output is only good for 3 months. They continue to emit visible light long after that, but no UVB rays (which we can't see).

I’ll start with a first aid measure.Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Add a couple of scoops of calcium powder and mix it in. Soak your dragon for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes, nutrients, and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

The diet you have been using is not very good. Phoenix worms are fine. Meal worms and super worms are too high in chitin for beardies to digest them well. Some other lizards, such as geckos do fine with them, but beardies don't. The commercial bearded dragon pellets are nothing but a junk food sprayed with a few vitamins. By age two, a dragon should be eating 80% fresh produce, mostly greens, and 20% prey insects. Crickets that are no bigger than the space between your beardie’s eyes area better choice for insects than are the super worms and mealworms.. Silk worms and Phoenix worms are other excellent foods. I'm going to give you a link to a reputable and easy to understand site for information on feeding because there is too much for me to explain here:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

It is possible to reverse MBD if it is caught early enough. You need to immediately get calcium into your beardie.Consider buying some liquid calcium, which is more potent. Here is a source:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Calciumglub.html

I would also get a new light because at this point he needs strong UVB. I recommend the Reptisun 10.0 in the straight tube style. The compact spiral type bulbs are inconsistent in their output. They can emit so much UVB that they damage the eyes, or so little that they don't prevent MBD.

Another option would be to see a reptile vet. They can provide special sources of calcium for cases of MBD. If you want to do that, this link will take you to a vet directory:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

Because pet stores give out so much incorrect information, I’m also sending along a care sheet, courtesy of Joan, another of our experts. Joan has many years experience keeping and rescuing beardies.Her care sheet is used on some reputable websites, so you may have even seen it before. I suggest that you use the care sheet as a check list to provide the best possible care for your beardie. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your dragon will reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Bearded Dragon Care Sheet
Bearded dragons should be housed alone.
Ages of bearded dragons follow these guidelines:
0-3 months- baby 3-12 months-juvenile 12-18 months- sub adult 18 months + -adult

Bearded dragons live as much as 10-12 years if well cared for properly.
Bearded dragons have a very good temperament as long as they are cared for and handled.
When you bring your baby home, it may be quite stressful to him/her to get use to new home. May not eat well the first 2-3 days. They may not need to be handled the first 2-3 days if skittish and nervous.
Never use sand or any other type of loose substrate: Loose substrates can cause impaction (not being able to go Poop) in all ages of bearded dragons- they lick their environment to explore .It is difficult to keep germ free and clean. Ceramic tile, newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner and reptile carpet is what is most recommended. Use paper towels for the little one and as they get bigger you can change to something else.
Be sure you keep your beardies home as clean as you can. Clean up by spot cleaning when needed. Clean & sanitize entire tank every 10-14 days. A good cleaning solution is a 20% bleach solution. If you choose to use wood climbing branches etc, these should be soaked in the bleach solution and rinsed well. Then bake in 250 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Need a climbing accessory: to bask and to warm up under basking heat light and lower branches or platforms to come down and cool off.
A hide of some sort like a cave.
A food dish and water dish.
Plastic spray bottle
Can use artificial plants when they get older- 3 months or so.
Digital thermostat and/or temp gun
Tank size: Minimal size tank for this age is 20 gallon long
Minimal size for older beardie: 4 months of age: 40 gallon breeder is the minimal tank size for older dragon. Can divide a 40 gallon breeder for a smaller dragon. Must have two lights for your beardie.

A UVB light source-best is 10.0 Reptisun that runs the length of your tank. Your dragon must have this light to metabolize calcium. If not he will get metabolic bone disease, a serious condition. You can also take your beardie outside to bask in the sun for 15 minutes each day if your temps are 80 degrees or above outside. You can purchase cages or reptariums from your pet store. Never leave a beardie outside unattended.
2. A basking type light that puts out heat and warmth above basking spot. Your beardie must have warmth to digest food & thrive.

Lights should be on for 12-14 hours each day. Follow the seasons and light timers are a great luxury if you can get them. 6 dollars at Lowe's. No lights or warmth needed at night unless your temperatures get below 62 degrees. If they do, there are ceramic heat emitters that put out no light, only heat. Use these at night if temperatures fall below 62 degrees.

Temperatures have to be kept at the following ranges during the day:

Babies: Warm basking log: 105-115* degrees F (40.5 - 46*C)
Cool side: 85-90 (29.5 - 32*C)

Adults: Warm basking spot: 105-110*F (40.5- 43*C)
Cool side: 80-85 (26.6 - 29.5*C)
Measure temperatures with a digital probe type thermometer or a temp gun-these are most accurate. Stick on thermometers unreliable.

Feeding a Beardie: Beardies eat live prey consisting of crickets, roaches and/or silkworms. Never feed any size of mice to your beardie. Never feed meal worms. They also must be given greens/veggies everyday. The younger they are the more live prey they should have. As they grow older the live prey decreases and the veggies/greens should be the major part of diet. Never feed anything bigger, than the space between your beardie's eyes. This includes both live prey and pieces of veggies/greens,.
A chopper or food processor is a huge help when your beardie is small. Always offer greens and veggies: collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, cabbage, red cabbage, fresh green beans, yellow summer squash, butternut squash, sweet potato, cactus pad. Apricots, strawberries, apples, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe- fruits are treats only.

What is live prey? The easiest and less expensive live prey is crickets when you have a young or first beardie. The other live preys you can feed are silkworms, and special types of roaches. You can learn to raise your own live prey. Treats can be wax worms, super worms, and tomato/Goliath worms. You may find that ordering live prey from the internet is the way to go..... Never leave live prey or greens/veggies in tank overnight. . Crickets can bite your beardie when sleeping.

Babies should get 80% live prey, and 20 % greens/veggies. But since the greens/veggies are a must when they are older, get them eating their greens/veggies very early. Give greens/veggies in small pieces everyday. You should eventually start decreasing your older dragon's protein intake when they are about a year to 15 months old. Their protein intake decreases to 20 % live prey and 80% veggies/greens. A baby eats 50-75 crix a day depending on the size of the crickets. Never feed crix or veggies bigger than the space between your beardie's eyes. Use this guide when buying crix or chopping your greens/veggies.
You must provide calcium dust without D3 and multivitamin dust for your beardie. You should dust the live prey with calcium one time a day, and vitamins 3 times a week. Just collect your live prey into baggie and add enough calcium and vitamin to dust them. Then pour a few at a time into your tank. Some people feed their beardie in a separate tank so that no crickets can hide. Or some take out "furniture" from tank and feed this way. As they get older, 4-5 months or so dust live prey with calcium 3 times a week.

Feed the veggies/ greens 1st thing in morning after lights on for one hour at least. Then after 2-3 hours offer crix. Then freshen green/veggies. Then give more crix. Make sure after last crix feeding there is at least 1-2 hours of lights so that they can digest their food before night time.

Beardies over the age of one year old during the winter months will go into a Brumation like most Reptiles and Herps. It is a form of Hibernation that is governed by the weather and time of year. The lights should be on a shorter period at this time. Fresh greens should be available during this period. Do not feed live prey during Brumation.

Water: Mist your little one with the spray bottle 3-4 times a day. You can also offer a small dish of water in your enclosure but be sure your dragon is not too small to drown in it. It is recommended that when your beardie is 2 months old you can bathe your baby in a small plastic container with warm water- not hot. It will help them to stay hydrated. As they get older you can move up to the bathroom sink and then to the bathtub. Very important for bath enclosure to be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed prior to bath time. Clean between dragons too if bathing more than one.