Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My name is ***** ***** and our iguana was out in the cold

Customer Question
over night.we thaught she was...
my name is ***** ***** and our iguana was out in the cold over night.we thaught she was dead but she wasn't we finally goy
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: got her to drim soory key bos
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Reptile Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: we got her to drink water 3 days ago with a syrng but she still hasn't eaten and isn't doingwell
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Reptile
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/29/2016
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 1 year ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue. I see you requested a phone call. I do need to tell you the site has an extra charge for phone calls. I can do one if you like.

In the mean tie can you tell me about the set up?

How old is the Iggy?

Temps in enclosure?

Have you bathed the Iggy?

Diet?

Supplements?

UVB light, how old, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Basking light?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she was throwing up clear mucus out of her mouth and nose. she is a year old.eats fresh veggis and fruits,she has a basking light plus to other lamps and a heated rock.she is aloud to roam free in the den.she has trees and water and stuff the she climbs all the time was very healthy and happy until now

Did you want to do the phone call? I can send an offer if you do.

Can you tell me if you specifically have a UVB light it would be a linear tube or compact coil, it would be a 5.0,8.0 or 10.0, and how old is it?

Do you give any supplements?

Is she wheezing?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not gonna do the phone call because its not looking very good at this point. After having consistant attempts in movement despite not having ate in 5 days, since the day we found her next door frozen, she is barely moving, almost completely catatonic. An hour ago she would jump into consciousness every 10 minutes or so. Now she wont become conscious even if stimulated or even held on her back.
is it possible that the frozen state is what damages a part of her brain and affected her appetite or ability to eat?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you know veterinarians that are worth $28 usually have some sort of response in the form of a sentence not usually repetitive questioning that leads to no resolution or even comfort.

I am sorry, but information is important to find out what is going on and how to assist the animal. I would like to try a soak to see if we can rehydrate the Iggy. You can give a soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte electrolyte replacer to hydrate and add electrolytes to the body. This may help if you support the iggy in the soak. What you have described does not sound like the cold affected the iggy in that sense, because I have seen iggies drop out of trees when the weather gets cold and fully recover. What it does sound like is the Iggy has Pneumonia. This would require an Antibiotic series to help pull him through. The UVB would booster the immune system that is why I questioned if you have one available. It needs to work with a Calcium supplement to metabolize into D3 in the body.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
wat kind of antibiotics would we need for her. my wife is soaking her now .her color is turning brown now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
why is she turning brown?

I cannot recommend the Antibiotic. That would have to be prescribed by the Herp Vet. It would be illegal for me to tell you what type of Antibiotic because the Iggy has not had a physical exam by a Licensed Vet.

She most likely turning brown because she does not like the soak and is not used to it. You only need to cover her Vent area, since she can absorb fluids through the Vent. Once soaked she needs to be put under her basking light ad UVB light. When dried off and under her lights should turn back to green. The soak is only a first aid measure to prevent dehydration.

Joan

Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist