Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Just picked up a turtle that was t. Shell is slightly caved…

Customer Question
just picked up a turtle...
just picked up a turtle that was hit. Shell is slightly caved in and bleeding.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
2/28/2016
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 2 years ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this accident.It is very kind of you to help.

As a first aid measure to prevent infection, you can pour a diluted solution of Betadine into the cracks. Use half water and half Betadine. Betadine is sold in the first aid departments of discount stores and pharmacies. Don't try to mend the shell in any way. Shell is living tissue - it's not dead like our fingernails or a horse's hooves. Next, you'll need to make a decision. The turtle needs more help than what you can give it at home. Either a reptile vet or a wildlife rehabilitator can provide the help. If your budget allows it, these links will take you to directories of vets who can help:

http://www.nytts.org/nytts/helpnet.htm

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

There isno charge for help from rehabbers, but you'd have to surrender the turtle to them.They often have vets who work with them. Rehabbers care for wild animals until they are well, then release them. These links will take you to directories of rehabbers:

http://wildliferehabinfo.org/

http://wildliferehabber.org/st_disp_list.php

If you are thinking of taking the turtle to a vet, then keeping it as a pet, let me know and I can give you information on how to care for it (there's no extra charge for that). For that, or if you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope the turtle will be able to recover.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna