Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

Has not eaten in going on 5 days, lethargic, has hard lumps

Customer Question
on abdomen but the entire...
Has not eaten in going on 5 days, lethargic, has hard lumps on abdomen but the entire abdomen is not hard,
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Are you ready to speak with the Veterinarian now?
Customer: Yes
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Reptile
2/26/2016
Reptile Expert: nekovet, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

You noted hard lumps, are they in the skin or deeper in the belly?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess I should add that my reptile is a bearded dragon.No gagging or vomiting no drooling, only licks lips when I give vitamin drops or drip water.
Keeps water down fine, drinks out of water dish and when given a bath.
Gums are pink and moist, not sticky to my knowledge.
No tenderness that I notice in the abdomen, the lumps are in the stomach not on the skin.Has had no access to anything possibly poisonous. Eats crickets dusted with calcium and hornworms mostly has had a few mealworms but not many. And has refused all attempts at feeding since Sunday. Looks at food like he/she is interested but does not go after it and will not even accept hand feeding.Only time out of vivarium is while I am holding or for bath time.

My apologies, it wasn't clear that you were asking about a bearded dragon. In that case, I do have to opt out and allow my reptile savvy associated assist you. My apologies and you don't need to reply to this message, as it will block my colleagues from seeing that I have re-opened the question.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 1 year ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

Hello and welcome. I apologize that you have experienced delays in getting a response. Different experts come on at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptile health. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Some additional information will be useful. What substrate do you use on the floor of his enclosure? What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage? What brand and size of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb? Has he been passing normal droppings? Thank you.

Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist