Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My leopard gecko has always been on the smaller, thinner…

Customer Question
My leopard gecko has...

My leopard gecko has always been on the smaller, thinner side despite my attempts to feed her crickets with calcium and vitamin supplements and the occasional wax worm as a treat. After her last shed roughly four days ago, she began quickly losing weight. I have been giving her more crickets and wax worms, increased humidity and heat, gave the tank a deep clean, and have been giving her an anti-inflammatory medicine given to me by her vet when this very issue came up a couple of months ago. The only difference then was that her diet was primarily mealworms, which I did not know at the time were not very nutritious. Is there anything more I can do? I cannot afford the vet at the moment, and he hasn't responded to my email.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations Gecko can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Are you ready to speak with the Veterinarian now?

I can type, but cannot talk on the phone. Thank you so much for your help

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
2/26/2016
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 2 years ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.

You can try supplemental feeding beside crickets. Meat flavored baby food mixed with calcium works well and you can add some Flukers Repti Boost for insectivores http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/flukers-reptaboost-insectavore-and-carnivore-high-amp-boost This may help get the gecko jump started . You can also do a soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak. Do this is a shallow bowl and only has to cover the Vent area.

For feeders silk worms and Phoenix worms are very nutritious feeders and may be welcomed by your Gecko. Short of this there is not a lot that can be done at home. The Vet could give a vitamin shot and check the fecal for parasite that could be causing the weight loss. You would also want an acid fast stain to check for crypto which is a wasting disease.

Joan

Did you have any questions on this information supplied? Please hit reply and I will be happy to assist you.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan

How is your Gecko doing. I wanted to check back in with you since he was so thi to see if the information supplied was of help.

Joan