Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I have a Russian tortoise that, after some neglect from a…

Customer Question
I have a Russian...

I have a Russian tortoise that, after some neglect from a previous owner, will not eat. My name is Jenette.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The tortoise has been eating less and less as the winter has continued. She lives indoors in a large Rubbermaid-style enclosure, with coir substrate and a combo heat lamp/UVB lamp at one end. She has been losing weight, and is now quite thin and incredibly lethargic. Her food, spinach and other greens, goes completely untouched.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
2/20/2016
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 2 years ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

Hello Jenette and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear your tortoise is having this problem. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take. What is the temperature right under the heat lamp? How about on the cool side of the enclosure? Has the tortoise been passing normal droppings? Thank you.