I was recently given a very (pet smart was apparently unsure of the age) veiled chameleon. He's about 4 inches without

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello! I was recently given a very young (pet smart was apparently unsure of the age) veiled chameleon. He's about 4 inches long without tail. I am wondering if some of his strange behaviors are normal or reason for concern. I keep his cage 80-100 but the temp seems to fluctuate. It averages at about 90 at the top. I have a 5.0 UVB bulb and a 100 watt heat lamp. I turn those both off and use a 100 watt red light at night giving him about 12-13 hours of uvb. I dust his crickets in calcium and sometimes multivitamin with d3 as recommended by a vet he visited. I also feed his crickets to gut load them for nutrition. I mist him frequently but am having a hard time keeping humidity up. I have a dropper going constantly, manual misting, and a fogger that comes on for 45 seconds every half hour. His decor is always damp but he is in a vented mesh enclosure.
His behaviors I'm wondering about are
- basking w/ mouth open, sometimes walking with mouth open but usually when or after basking - 2 times I thought I heard him cough as he closes his mouth but I am not 100% positive of this.
- moving his back legs in a strange way, as if he were stretching or unable to grab vines. He seems to have trouble like as if he were just learning to use them.
- tonight I found him sleeping on the floor of his cage, very close to where he usually goes to the bathroom. (temp at top is 88)
-taking a while to wake up in morning, what times do they like to sleep til?
Answered by Jav917 in 38 mins 6 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

hello,

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with speical interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Let me start and clarify that the red night light bulb you are using does not offer UVB rays. It is infra red creating a very high heat. You would be better served using the black night light bulb. Red bulbs have been known to cause serious thermal burns.

The auto mister fogger should create enough humidity for the chameleon. Some of the humidity guages can be inacturate and if too wet can cause a fungal growth or cause Respiratory infections.

The ambient Temps in the enclosure should be 72-80 and in the basking area 85-90. hotter than that can cause problems. They will Gape to help release the heat if too warm. The stiffness in the rear legs can be a result of MBD or gout in the chameleon. The fact he is laying at the bottom could be because the enclosure is too warm, or he is getting ill. I do think a Herp Vet visit is in order. There seems to be somethings just not right that will need to be checked out hands on. I am going to give you this Vieled Chamieled Chameleon Care sheet by Florida Chameleons. It is very comprehensive and they are well recognized for information on Chameleons: http://www.veiledchameleoncaresheet.com/

Joan

Hi Nicole,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bruce. How is everything going?
Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.