Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Are you there?
, my pet bearded dragon?
, well i…

Customer Question
Hello are you there...

Hello are you there?

Veterinarian's Assistant: No. I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hi. What is your issue regarding?

My pet bearded dragon ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dragon?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What confuses you?

Well i have two bearded dragons in the same enclosure. they have both been acting normal until yesterday

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dragon seem to hurt?

He had a seizure today

Veterinarian's Assistant: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dragon's name and age?

I actuallyu thought i had lost him

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dragon?

Yes whl

Veterinarian's Assistant: What else should I tell the Veterinarian?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
he also literally froze up for a good 5 mins, nothing moving at all but his breathing. his back legs were locked and entwined together while his rectum seemed to be out and covered with white liquid. i tried turning him upside down hoping he would move to get back the right way round but he just lay there upside down in exactly the same position. i watched him like this for about two mins then i gently pried his back legs open and turned him back the right way up. he stayed like that for another 3 mins then just seemed to come back to life and went slowly back to his basking spot. the weird thing is that literlally 5 mins before this happened, he was extremely active, he was literally fighting the other bearded dragon in his cage and suddenly the seizure started few seconds after he stopped fighting.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/13/2016
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 2 years ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. There are several possible cause of seizures, and some additional information will help to narrow it down. How old is the dragon? Do you give a calcium supplement? If so, does it contain vitamin D3? How often is it given? What brand and size of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb? What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage? Thank you.

Hello again. It appears you went offline without seeing my request for more information. Because I will be leaving for the day soon, I'm going to go ahead and give you a couple of possibilities.

The most common cause of seizures in bearded dragons is Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). MBD is caused by an imbalance of calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin D in the body. The most common reason for its occurrence is lack of UVB light rays. A fluorescent bulb or a basking light will not provide UVB.
Full-spectrum lighting, Dayglo, UVA, and UV also do not. UVB light bulbs are only effective for about 6 months. they still look fine after that, but don’t emit enough UVB rays to do any good. UVB rays allow the body to produce vitamin D. Without UVB your beardie can’t use the calcium in the diet. So if you don't have a UVB bulb or yours is over 6 months old, I recommend getting one today. A Reptisun 10.0 is a good brand. Pet store personnel are sometimes not well-informed about UVB, and will try to sell you full-spectrum. Instead of relying on them, read the packaging yourself to make sure you’re getting what you need. Beardies also need plain calcium dusted on their prey insects. Proper temperatures are also important for calcium metabolism. The basking area should be 105*F to 110*F, and the cool side 80*F to 85*F. Night time temperatures can be allowed to drop into the low seventies.

Excessive supplementation with vitamin D3 is the next most common cause of seizures. If you use calcium powder regularly, and it contains D3, that could be the problem. Too much D3 has been linked to both neurological problems and kidney disease. Plain calcium is the best choice.

Stress may also be a factor. Despite what pet store staff may say, they should not be kept together. They often get along when young, but when they reach puberty, fights begin. Such fights often result in limbs being torn off, and even death.

If you have a fresh UVB light, provide calcium without D3, and have proper temperatures, you may be looking at an actual neurological disorder. These can be genetic or environmental. In that case, you'll need to see a reptile vet. This link will take you to a directory:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

Otherwise, be sure you have a UVB light, and adjust temps if necessary. If he hasn't been getting calcium, I'll give you a first aid measure. Buy some unflavored Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Add a big scoop of calcium powder and mix it in. Soak your dragonfor about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

Because pet stores give out so much incorrect information, I’m also sending along a care sheet, courtesy of Joan, another of our experts. Joan has many years experience keeping and rescuing beardies.Her care sheet is used on some reputable websites, so you may have even seen it before. I suggest that you use the care sheet as a check list to provide the best possible care for your beardies. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your dragon will reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Bearded Dragon Care Sheet
Bearded dragons should be housed alone.
Ages of bearded dragons follow these guidelines:
0-3 months- baby 3-12 months-juvenile 12-18 months- sub adult 18 months + -adult

Bearded dragons live as much as 10-12 years if well cared for properly.
Bearded dragons have a very good temperament as long as they are cared for and handled.
When you bring your baby home, it may be quite stressful to him/her to get use to new home. May not eat well the first 2-3 days. They may not need to be handled the first 2-3 days if skittish and nervous.
Never use sand or any other type of loose substrate: Loose substrates can cause impaction (not being able to go Poop) in all ages of bearded dragons- they lick their environment to explore .It is difficult to keep germ free and clean. Ceramic tile, newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner and reptile carpet is what is most recommended. Use paper towels for the little one and as they get bigger you can change to something else.
Be sure you keep your beardies home as clean as you can. Clean up by spot cleaning when needed. Clean & sanitize entire tank every 10-14 days. A good cleaning solution is a 20% bleach solution. If you choose to use wood climbing branches etc, these should be soaked in the bleach solution and rinsed well. Then bake in 250 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Need a climbing accessory: to bask and to warm up under basking heat light and lower branches or platforms to come down and cool off.
A hide of some sort like a cave.
A food dish and water dish.
Plastic spray bottle
Can use artificial plants when they get older- 3 months or so.
Digital thermostat and/or temp gun
Tank size: Minimal size tank for this age is 20 gallon long
Minimal size for older beardie: 4 months of age: 40 gallon breeder is the minimal tank size for older dragon. Can divide a 40 gallon breeder for a smaller dragon. Must have two lights for your beardie.

A UVB light source-best is 10.0 Reptisun that runs the length of your tank. Your dragon must have this light to metabolize calcium. If not he will get metabolic bone disease, a serious condition. You can also take your beardie outside to bask in the sun for 15 minutes each day if your temps are 80 degrees or above outside. You can purchase cages or reptariums from your pet store. Never leave a beardie outside unattended.
2. A basking type light that puts out heat and warmth above basking spot. Your beardie must have warmth to digest food & thrive.

Lights should be on for 12-14 hours each day. Follow the seasons and light timers are a great luxury if you can get them. 6 dollars at Lowe's. No lights or warmth needed at night unless your temperatures get below 62 degrees. If they do, there are ceramic heat emitters that put out no light, only heat. Use these at night if temperatures fall below 62 degrees.

Temperatures have to be kept at the following ranges during the day:

Babies: Warm basking log: 105-115* degrees F (40.5 - 46*C)
Cool side: 85-90 (29.5 - 32*C)

Adults: Warm basking spot: 105-110*F (40.5- 43*C)
Cool side: 80-85 (26.6 - 29.5*C)
Measure temperatures with a digital probe type thermometer or a temp gun-these are most accurate. Stick on thermometers unreliable.

Feeding a Beardie: Beardies eat live prey consisting of crickets, roaches and/or silkworms. Never feed any size of mice to your beardie. Never feed meal worms. They also must be given greens/veggies everyday. The younger they are the more live prey they should have. As they grow older the live prey decreases and the veggies/greens should be the major part of diet. Never feed anything bigger, than the space between your beardie's eyes. This includes both live prey and pieces of veggies/greens,.
A chopper or food processor is a huge help when your beardie is small. Always offer greens and veggies: collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, cabbage, red cabbage, fresh green beans, yellow summer squash, butternut squash, sweet potato, cactus pad. Apricots, strawberries, apples, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe- fruits are treats only.

What is live prey? The easiest and less expensive live prey is crickets when you have a young or first beardie. The other live preys you can feed are silkworms, and special types of roaches. You can learn to raise your own live prey. Treats can be wax worms, super worms, and tomato/Goliath worms. You may find that ordering live prey from the internet is the way to go..... Never leave live prey or greens/veggies in tank overnight. . Crickets can bite your beardie when sleeping.

Babies should get 80% live prey, and 20 % greens/veggies. But since the greens/veggies are a must when they are older, get them eating their greens/veggies very early. Give greens/veggies in small pieces everyday. You should eventually start decreasing your older dragon's protein intake when they are about a year to 15 months old. Their protein intake decreases to 20 % live prey and 80% veggies/greens. A baby eats 50-75 crix a day depending on the size of the crickets. Never feed crix or veggies bigger than the space between your beardie's eyes. Use this guide when buying crix or chopping your greens/veggies.
You must provide calcium dust without D3 and multivitamin dust for your beardie. You should dust the live prey with calcium one time a day, and vitamins 3 times a week. Just collect your live prey into baggie and add enough calcium and vitamin to dust them. Then pour a few at a time into your tank. Some people feed their beardie in a separate tank so that no crickets can hide. Or some take out "furniture" from tank and feed this way. As they get older, 4-5 months or so dust live prey with calcium 3 times a week.

Feed the veggies/ greens 1st thing in morning after lights on for one hour at least. Then after 2-3 hours offer crix. Then freshen green/veggies. Then give more crix. Make sure after last crix feeding there is at least 1-2 hours of lights so that they can digest their food before night time.

Beardies over the age of one year old during the winter months will go into a Brumation like most Reptiles and Herps. It is a form of Hibernation that is governed by the weather and time of year. The lights should be on a shorter period at this time. Fresh greens should be available during this period. Do not feed live prey during Brumation.

Water: Mist your little one with the spray bottle 3-4 times a day. You can also offer a small dish of water in your enclosure but be sure your dragon is not too small to drown in it. It is recommended that when your beardie is 2 months old you can bathe your baby in a small plastic container with warm water- not hot. It will help them to stay hydrated. As they get older you can move up to the bathroom sink and then to the bathtub. Very important for bath enclosure to be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed prior to bath time. Clean between dragons too if bathing more than one.
Fruits and Vegetables:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html

Walnut Shell Graphic:

http://mrskingsbioweb.com/beardeddragngrossanatomy.htm

Sexing Bearded Dragons:

http://repticzone.com/articles/sexingbeardeddragons.html

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna