Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My abused 16 inches monitor ate 5 hoppers Saturday night but…

Customer Question
My abused 16 inches monitor...
My abused 16 inches monitor ate 5 hoppers Saturday night but won't eat since. Still full or??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
2/2/2016
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 2 years ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue. The Monitor may still be full as you suggest you the fur of so many hopper may be affecting the stomach. You can try and promote a stool by doing a warm soak in warm water. It is no longer suggested to feed a sole rodent diet to monitors. the diet suggested is to vary with fresh ground turkey mixed with eggs including the sells and some calcium. You can also use some commercial foods, and the rodents, but do not make them exclusive. You can read more about the Diets here: http://www.lllreptile.com/articles/142-notes-on-the-feeding-of-monitor-lizards.

I am hoping passing a good stool and allowing digestion to occur will get the Monitor eating again later today. Feeding On a full grown Monitor can be every other day and since he ate well Saturday should be ready to eat later this afternoon or evening. What we need to watch for is a gut impaction. If he does not eat by tomorrow, a Herp Vet visit may be needed to make sure there is not something else going on. Please let me know if I have addressed your concerns. When I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to Rate my service 5 stars.

Joan