My red-eared slider has eggs in the water. All appear broken. There is no male. We have had her for over 10 years. What

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My red-eared slider has laid eggs in the water. All appear broken. There is no male. We have had her for over 10 years. What should we do. Are the broken eggs dangerous to her? What if she eats them? Do we need to fully change her tank water?
Answered by Jav917 in 14 mins 6 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

Female Reptiles like burds can lay eggs without a male present. This is what happened with your Slider turtle. You will need to do at least a 3/4 water change and remove all the eggs so the water does not have any broken egg in it. Once that is done you can put fresh dechlorinated water back in the in the tank. I do suggest you watch the turtle as she may have more eggs to lay. If she starts to get excited in the tank she may be telling you that she needs to ay the rest at that point you need to set up a lay box for her. To save time an Xray by the Herp Vet can tell you if she has more eggs and to be sure she is not egg bound. This is information on Nesting for Red eared Sliders: http://redearslider.com/reproduction.html

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars so I can be compensated fro my time and answers.

Joan

Customer
Thanks for your help. She is doing fine.

Great to hear! Please come back if you need help again

Joan

Read less
unlike
3 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.