Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

SURE IF MY RED FOOT HAS SHELL ROT BUT THE BOTTOM OF HER

Customer Question
I'M NOT SURE IF MY...
I'M NOT SURE IF MY RED FOOT HAS SHELL ROT BUT THE BOTTOM OF HER SHELL IS CRACKING OPEN (THE VERTICAL CENTER LINE) NEAR THE TAIL END AND I SAW A RED DROP ON IT (BLOOD?), WHAT CAN IT BE? HOW SHOULD I TREAT HER?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
1/30/2016
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 2 years ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

Can you please post a picture of the area?

Do you feed any supplements?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength and age?

Diet?

Joan

I give her TNT supplement and a cuttle bone, Her light is Power SUN UVA UVB. How do I post a pic? or Where?
Her light is 100 watt. About 5 months old i think.
She eats mostly romaine. I give her a more varied diet in summer(WEEDS) She doesn't like the tnt too much so I stopped that. In the winter I give her viola and zucchini squash. O yeah and once a week dry cat food.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

From looking at the area it does look like a separation in the shell and it is possibly shell rot or a fungal infection. She needs to be taken off loose substrate and put on paper, Cage Carpet or tile for now. You can bathe the bottom of the shell in a diluted Betadine solution and warm water several times a day. This will disinfect the area. You can apply Neosporin to the area after cleaning. I would see the Herp Vet for this as they may start an antibiotic or antifungal when positively identified. It is a possibility that once all clean, the Vet may bind the shell to protect it from further deterioration. If you need a Herp Vet please let me know. I can locate some with a State.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Can i dab some betadine on the crack? Should I dilute it? I don't want to soak her in it because it will get in her skin.

I did say a diluted solution of Betadine and water above,. The Betadine can be painted or Dabbed on to clean the shell if you prefer. You can also use a Diluted solution of Novalasan which can be gotten that the Pharmacy as Chlorhexadine or the Pet shop and dilute with water and used instead of the Betadine. The biggest thing is to keep the area clean and dry. Have the Vet see the are to see if he wants to bind it because of the deep crack. He may also start an antibiotic. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Jan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan

I wanted to check in on the tortoise and see how it is doing. I also wanted to see if the information supplied has helped you with the tortoise. Please let me know.

Joan