Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

I shut my bearded dragon in the door and s front leg has

Customer Question
I shut my bearded dragon...
I shut my bearded dragon in the door and his front leg has been crushed and now is just hanging back being dragged uncomfortably when he moves. This happened tonight but there are no on call exotic vets and have been advised to seek help during normal hours tomorrow morning. I just want to know whether he will survive and can a repile's limb be fixed if broken or will it have to be amputated - feel awful and hope he's not in a lot of pain, am seeking help first thing in the morning.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Reptile
1/23/2016
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 1 year ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest reptiles and reptile rescue.

This situation we need to be cautious and take some gauze and wrap the leg close to the body and use some first aid tape to hold this in place. We do not want the leg dragged any more that necessary. I would also like you to monitor breathing so the bandage is not too tight. This should hold the Dragon until morning if you cannot locate a Herp Vet. I I will give you a link for her Vets in the UK: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/ Please scroll down to UK Vets. If I have addressed your concerns please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

How is the Dragon. Did you have him seen?

Joan

It has been a bout a week since lat we talked and I wanted to see how the Dragon was doing and if the vet was able to save the leg. Please let me know. would appreciate it.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician