My bearded dragon hasn't pooped in 3 to 4 weeks. Ive tried keeping her diet varied with insects, fruits and veggies; and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My bearded dragon hasn't pooped in 3 to 4 weeks. Ive tried keeping her diet varied with insects, fruits and veggies; and the temperature right. Her stomach is also slightly swollen, not sure if it is related. I use towels instead of sand.
Answered by Anna in 7 hours 6 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.

You are on the right track with baths, but I'll give you some ways to make them more likely to help. Get some baby food prunes and some unflavored Pedialyte (we'll need that later).. Drop a small dollop of the prunes right on the end of Lizzy's snout. Many times, reflexes will cause them to lick it off. Then wait about 45 minutes. If Lizzy won't eat the prunes, just proceed to the next step.Prepare a shallow warm bath consisting of 1/2 warm water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your dragon for about 20 to 30 minutes. After the first 10 minutes, with her still in the water, gently massage her underside from front to vent for an additional 10 minutes. That may be enough to help her pass some feces. Be sure to supervise closely.

Double check your temperatures to make sure they are right. The basking area should be 105*F to 110*F. The cool side should be 80*F to 85*F.

If you feed meal worms, it would be best to discontinue them. They are high in chitin, which beardies cannot digest well. It can build up in the intestines and cause impaction. Crickets and silkworms are better choices.

The swelling is very likely related to the constipation. I would try the soaks with massage twice today. If that doesn't work, it's time to see a reptile vet. Several weeks is too long to go without pooping. she may be impacted, and that will require a vet's help. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope the soaks with massage will cause Lizzy to poop.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Hi Kaleb,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lizzy. How is everything going?
Anna
Customer
Hi. I appreciate the follow up, Lizzy pooped, with out the prunes. I was giving her a bath and massaging her stomacj and she let it all out. Im going to cut meal worms from her diet like you suggested, thanks again!

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear the problem is solved.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.