Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I have four baby leopard geckos. Three of them are big and

Customer Question

I have four baby leopard geckos. Three of them are big and healthy, the fourth hasn't grown since I got him. I know he isn't eating, as far as I've seen, and I can't figure out why. I've separated him from the others in case they were bullying him, but i'm beginning to think it's something more serious.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Jacqueline Brister replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, your little gecko would benefit greatly from a physical exam from a veterinarian. Is there any way you could take the little guy in to see someone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could take him to a regular vet, but we don't have any specialized reptile vets within 250 miles of where I live.

Common causes for anorexia could be infection, intestinal parasites, or sand eating. A physical from even a regular vet (if they were willing) would show signs of infection, and the vet could send off a fecal to check for parasites. Xrays would be needed to rule out sand impaction. Even if the other geckos aren't sick, some have a lesser immune system and can't fight off the problem. Your regular vet will have several options in stock for treating a lot of options (there are very few antibiotics that can be used in a gecko). If they are uncomfortable checking your gecko, see if they would be willing to submit a fecal sample to the lab (at least checking for pinworms, trichomonas, coccidia). Unfortunately, these are just the most common and obvious problems to manage- the causes for anorexia are numerous.

In the meantime, can you force feed him? Mash up some meal worms and give via a small syringe without the needle.