Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Reptile Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years private, wildlife and zoo experience with reptiles, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I think my turtle is dead how do i know she's not bernating

Customer Question

i think my turtle is dead how do i know for sure she's not hibernating or really sick. And if she's dead how should i dispose her?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with the potential loss of your turtle.

There are a couple of ways to determine if death has occured in a reptile. 1) raise the temperature to 90F in the enclosure for 24 hours, if there is no movement or she becomes stiff then she is dead. The second way is to have a vet check her heart with a doppler or ultrasound machine.

If she has passed away then you can bury her in the ground or you can take her to a local human funeral home for cremation that also takes care of pets (most will). I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.

Dr. Dan