Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

How to treat yellow fungus in bearded dragons?

Customer Question
I do have a beared...
I do have a beared dragon and he has yellow fungus. I would like to know what type of medicine is good for that or how i can treat it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
12/1/2015
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 2 years ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

Sorry to hear that your dragon has this nasty fungus. It is frequently fatal, and seems to occur most often in dragons that have been given antibiotics or kept on natural soil. The antibiotics may destroy all the beneficial bacteria in the dragon's system, allowing fungus and harmful bacteria to flourish. A lot of times, the lizard will die from this before a skin culture can even be completed. If you aren't already using a solid substrate, change to one at once since that is easier to keep clean and dry.

This fungus is difficult to treat. There are two approaches you can take. One is to see a veterinarian who will prescribe drugs. I've gotten the impression you want to try something on your own. Some of the best results have been obtained using colloidal silver water and Nolvasan. You can buy Nolvasan in some pet stores, from vets, and online. Dilute it 3 ounces to a gallon of water. It should be kept away from the eyes. You can read more about it here:

http://www.greenigsociety.org/firstaidkit.htm#fak3

Colloidal silver water is available in health food stores. Bathe your beardie 2-3 times a day, alternating between the colloidal silver water and the Nolvasan.

You can then rinse your beardie and coat the spots with the Clotrimazole (sold in pharmacies for humans). It would also be helpful to give him some probiotics (beneficial bacteria). You can buy liquid ones in health food stores.

If your dragon is eating, add the probiotics, 2 mls. daily of the silver water, and some bee pollen and royal jelly to his food. If he's not eating, mix those supplements into some chicken baby food, and drop a bit at a time onto his snout. Don't try to forcef eed. Here's an online source for the pollen and royal jelly:

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/bee.htm#pets

Another step to take is to try to get him into some direct sunlight outdoors each day. Be sure to supervise him closely.

Make sure that the enclosure is warm enough (for a youngster, 110*F in the basking area, 85*F in the cool section) and kept clean and dry. If you have additional questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you're able to clear this up.

Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist