Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My beardie is 10 years old. Recently she began breathing

Customer Question

Hello, my beardie is 10 years old. Recently she began breathing very heavy and mouth breathing. She won't eat or drink. We took her to our local vet, and she said it was not an infection. They did blood work on her and sent it off, but said we would not get the results for another 7-10 days. The vet gave us a sryeringe to feed her baby food with. I've been feeding her twice a day, but she is still breathing very heavy - the heavy breaths happen once every 2-3 minutes. Please help us. I don't know if she is dying or just sick.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has gone to the bathroom. But she is extremely lethargic.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me if he did an Ultrasound or an Xray was done?

Did the Vet prescribe any medication?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Joan, no X-ray or ultrasound. And no meds were given. She did give her some fluids. The only instructions we were given was to feed her baby food with the syringe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have been feeding her this way for 3 days now. She seems to have a tiny bit more energy, but the breathing has not gotten better. I offered her food this morning and she didn't eat it again
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

She is an Old girl and life span is about 10-12 years for a Dragon. At this age with what you described I worry about a Heart issue or a splentic mass. These are common issues we see in an older Dragon. The Blood work is good to have as well as a Fecal, but the heart and organs are a big concern. I would make sure she is warm enough with the temps at 105*-110*F, make sure the UVB bulb is a Reptisun 10.0 and newer than 6 months. The UVB and temps are very important fr the immune system and health. I am going to suggest adding some Royal Jelly which can be purchased at a health food store or Walmart in the Vitamin section. Open the capsule and add some to the baby food. Royal Jelly is a high potency supplement that helps increase the appetite. It is what is fed to a queen bee and has been found to help with Appetite in ill Dragons. I would also do a soak in a 50/50 Pedialyte soak to help with dehydration. Dragons can absorb fluids through the vent area. The soak should be warmed and shallow, so you can support the Dragon in the soak. Hopefully the Bee Pollen and the soak will help give some energy. As I said I am concerned about the heart and spleen, so if she does not perk up I would ask the Vet about an Ultrasound to check the organs.

Please let me know if you have any questions. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to Rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

How is the Dragon doing? Have you been back to the Vet?

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sam,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dragon. How is everything going?
Joan