Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My gecko had a very dry eye, we gave m drops and it got

Customer Question
My gecko had a very...
My gecko had a very dry eye, we gave him drops and it got better. It is now covered with shed/old skin that he can't seem to get off. This makes him unable to see from that eye, and it is hard for him to eat. I have been feeding him by hand. How can I help him?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
11/11/2015
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 2 years ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Retained eye shed is a common problem in Leopard Geckos. This is usually a Result of no moist hide or a Vitamin A deficiency. It will require a Herp Vet to remove the retained shed. Doing it improperly you chance a corneal abrasion or a corneal ulceration. If you do not have one I suggest a moisture moist hide be added on the warm side of the enclosure. you can feed litter slivers of cooked liver to help with the Vitamin A, and Have Sandy seen by a Herp Vet to remove the retained eye shed. If you do not have a Herp Vet I can locate one for you with a State. If I have addressed your concerns, Please take a moment to rate my service 5 Stars.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sandy. How is everything going?
Joan
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician