Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I have a leopard gecko named. I got her from petsmart back

Customer Question

Hi Anna,
My name is ***** ***** I have a leopard gecko named Linda. I got her from petsmart back in April. I was told she was 3 months old, but when I brought her on for her initial checkup the vet estimated she was younger than that. So she is anywhere between 7 and 10 months old. Her habitat is fine I have two heating lights, one white for daytime and one red for nighttime. I have a heating pad on the back of her cage (it is too high for her to reach and get burned on). I have two hides ones on the cool side, one on the warm side. She has a water dish that I clean out and change every couple of days. She also has a dish of plain calcium powder. I feed her mealworms that are gut loaded everyday and dusted with calcium powder. She weighs a little over 14 grams when I had her weighed about a month ago. I know this is on the light side. In August I began to notice a problem with her eye. Her left eye is always almost shut. Her right eye seems fine but she almost always keeps the left eye closed. I took her to the vet where she did a number of tests on her. She concluded that it must be a bacterial infection and gave me gentamicin drops. I was told to give her these drops every 8 hours for a week which I did. She is and always has been able to fully open her eye. When I would give her the drops her eye would be one fully open fit a while. I am concerned because the drops did not help. I called my vet and she said we could try steroid drops to see if those would help. I didn't get them because they are 60 dollars and I had already spent too much money taking her to the vet numerous times (I am s college student). The vet checked for any scratches or pieces of shed or trauma to the eye when I took her in and couldn't find anything. When Linda tries to eat she misses her meal worms and I often have to hand feed her. I don't mind doing this but I want to make sure she's ok. What do you think this eye problem is? And what are my next steps from here?
Thank you so much!!
Concerned gecko mom :(
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest i n reptiles and reptile rescue. I work with Anna. I can answer your question, or if you would like to wait for Anna, just let me know.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd like to hear Anna's opinion on my gecko, but if you're willing to answer as well while I wait that's ok!
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I will send this to Anna, since you would like her answer. They only allow one of us to answer.

Joan

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I apologize for the delay. I was not notified that you had requested me, and just found out when I received Joan's email. I'm afraid I don't have any wonderful home treatments for you. I wish I did, but it's unlikely any of the common ones will help. Since the vet recommends steroid drops, there must be inflammation in the eye. There are numerous possible causes of that including ulcerative uveitis and blepharitis. Steroids are very effective at treating these conditions. If another vet visit is out of the question, you can use saline eye solution (the kind sold for contact lenses) two or three times a day to soothe the eye. They won't cure anything, but may make it feel better. Also be sure you have a solid substrate, such as reptile carpet or ceramic tile on the cage floor. Loose substrates, such as sand and crushed walnut, irritate the eyes. And of course, you'll have to continue hand feeding Linda. There are two concerns with not pursuing further treatment. One is that the eye may deteriorate further. The other is that Linda may be in pain. You may want to see if your vet would set up a schedule of weekly or monthly payments. When I was in college, my dog needed an expensive treatment, and my vet worked out a payment schedule over a period of a year. Another alternative may be to ask your relatives for an early holiday gift of money to pay for Linda's treatment. Only you know your exact situation, so you'll have to decide if you want to try to find a way to continue treatment, or if you just want to make her as comfortable as possible. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will work out well. Anna