My male bearded dragon won't eat... He has been mating with my female daily for a week and a half, and hasn't had food

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My male bearded dragon won't eat... He has been mating with my female daily for a week and a half , and hasn't had food on his mind ... He's become very skinny now and dark complexioned . I'm beginning to worry. Shouldn't separate them for a few days or trust he is safe and will eat eventually?
Answered by Jav917 in 1 hour 7 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue. You made a big mistake. It only takes one mating to breed the female Dragon. You should have brought he to his tank and then removed after breeding. He needs to be removed immediately. Please give him a soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak for at least 20 mins to hydrate him and start trying to feed him. I suggest some Crickets, Dubia Roaches, Silk worms, Phoenix worms and as a treat Goliath worms which are also known as Horned worms. Make sure both Dragons are getting plenty of plain calcium and the UVB bulb is less than 6 months old as with the female she needs to have plenty of calcium and UVB. They both should be getting plenty of greens and veggies over the age of one. The diet should be 80% veggie and 20% live prey.

This is a Link I took part in writing the article on breeding Bearded Dragons:

http://repticzone.com/articles/beardeddragonbreeding101hrtmtn.html

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to Rate my Service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer
Thanks,
Does this mean they can't cohabitate? I believed after a period, they would stop mating and be able to live together

No, We never keep two Dragons that are male and female together. They will breed themselves to death as you can see. We always keep each in a 40 gallon breeder and and only bring them together once to breed if you are going to do that. I do not know if you are aware she will lay multiple clutches of eggs on one breeding and can retain sperm for a year. The laying shortens the life of the female. It is very hard on the body and you need to be well prepared. I suggest you read the article I sent to prepare for eggs and possible problems with laying. With the up coming winter months you are also looking at Brumation which is the long winters sleep and you will want to be sure they are healthy during that time since they do not eat or drink for 3-4 months.

Joan

Customer
ok, thanks so much again....Can the two of them both live in my house if they have separate tanks? They did spend a lot of time not mating and seemed to coexist peacefully both in one tank and for extended periods in the yard. Can they socialize if the female ends up living with a neighbor? I feel responsible to see the female through the breeding cycle. Read your article.Thanks.I've had my male for 3 years here in California, and he hasn't hibernated

They can live in the same household, but you may want to block vision where they can see each other. Being together in the yard can lead to another breeding, as they are fast, so putting them down together is not advised. I do recommend a Vet visit to be checked before brumation. I have Dragon in Florida and never brumated and then one winter went down. It is an internal clock, and may or may not happen, but like owners to be advised. The female will need to be checked in about two weeks for the eggs. She will lay in 3-4 weeks and she will lay as I said several clutches, so being sure she is health and no parasite and calcium levels are good is important. I would also get your incubator ready and warm so when the eggs arrive you can put them in the deli cups and right into the warmed incubator.

Joan

Read less
unlike
1 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.