Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have 1 year old res turtle having respiratory problems

Customer Question

im Ivana and i have 1 year old res turtle having respiratory problems now. After visiting vet, he told me to give to turtle antybiotic orally. My concern is, That giving him medicine in mouth, some amount went in his eye and im very worried That this hurted him, as he was having bubbles from mouth after?! Please help me
Many Thanks
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue. The Antibiotic will not injure the eye. It more than likely just irritated him a bit. You can use a Sterile Saline Eye Drop without preservatives in the eye to soothe it. The bubbles you see from the nose or mouth are a result of the Respiratory issue. you may even see crooked swimming from Raphael, which comes with this of problem.

An oral antibiotic is not always the easiest to give in turtles, so the problem you had is to be expected. Please do not worry as long as you are able to medicate Raphael, he should recover from the Respiratory.

Make sure your UVB light is new than 6 months old as that helps boost the immune system. Please let me know if you have further questions. When I have addressed your concens please rate my Service 5 Stars.

Joan