Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

Yesterday I got fire in my room which contains about 20

Customer Question
Hi, yesterday I got fire in...
yesterday I got fire in my room which contains about 20 pythons and boas ( 1.5 meter - 4 meters )
fortunately fire has started by itself and stop without any external factor, because floor didn't transfer fire to other side of the room, only vivarium burned and bedding which caused severe smoke all over the room.
unfortunately , I detected that room fire after 10 hours !
which smokes where diffused all over the room , and room filled of smoke sticked to walls, vivariums and tubs .
all mammals has been died , except the pythons and boas
some pythons were very fatigues and vomited their meals, also there were sign of dizziness and crackles during breething.
quickly I cleaned them all and swimmed for 6 hours in water, symptoms of fatigues, dizziness and crackles were totally disappeared (except for one, crackles still obvious) and now they are very active and conscious ..
I'm so afraid for post infection due to diffused and inhalated smokes,
I already moved them to another clean room, worrying about respiratory infection or any other unexpected signs which may leads them to death !!
please help for some precautions and for some treatment for inhalated smoke !
we have no vet in our area ..
note that I have F10SC ..
waiting for response please ..
Regards,
Anas
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 4 days by:
10/16/2015
Reptile Expert: Jeremy-DVM, Breeder replied 2 years ago
Jeremy-DVM
Jeremy-DVM, Breeder

Hi Anas, I'm Dr. Jeremy. What was the bedding that was smoking? Any type of smoke will be a huge irritant to the snakes lungs. Moving them to a new place was a great idea, but you may want to start treating them from respiratory infections as well, since smoke will damage the lining of the lung and make them more susceptible to infections.

It was Zoo med aspen bedding wood fire burned some plastic,
This is the 5th after fire ..
Previous days, I noticed
Bubbling sound during inhalation
Carbonaceous Sputum
Difficulties in breathing In one pythob ( Burmese female 10 feet)Other pythons are active, healthy with minor bubbling sound and this sound decreaseIn 1st day I used F10SC for 15 minutes inside ventilated tubs
Only one time ..Bob Clark told me that in 2011 he had fire , lived snakes suffered from those signs but they became healthy after many days,Today after noticing difficulties in breathing I'm using Salbutamol and Atrovent in a fogger ,
I will send you a video file to check the sound for this python but website couldn't agree to send, also she got some burns on her body, I'm using cream that treat this fleshes ..Please if you send me your mobile number
Whatspp
To send the videoIt's an urgent case
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Personally I don't like F10sc, I haven't really seen it help snakes with respiratory issues, but I know a lot of people that use it an like it. I don't think it's going to hurt, so why not. I would want to get them on systemic antibiotics like baytril or fortaz.

one of the pythons had been died due to mucus in lungothers on the way if not treated , used F10SC and no visible curation
they eat but they have shortness of breath due to mucus in lungalso used baytril with no sense !
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist